1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

mapMECFS: a portal to enhance data discovery across biological disciplines and collaborative sites, 2021, Mathur et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating disease which involves multiple body systems (e.g., immune, nervous, digestive, circulatory) and research domains (e.g., immunology, metabolomics, the gut microbiome, genomics, neurology). Despite several decades of research, there are no established ME/CFS biomarkers available to diagnose and treat ME/CFS. Sharing data and integrating findings across these domains is essential to advance understanding of this complex disease by revealing diagnostic biomarkers and facilitating discovery of novel effective therapies.

Methods
    The National Institutes of Health funded the development of a data sharing portal to support collaborative efforts among an initial group of three funded research centers. This was subsequently expanded to include the global ME/CFS research community. Using the open-source comprehensive knowledge archive network (CKAN) framework as the base, the ME/CFS Data Management and Coordinating Center developed an online portal with metadata collection, smart search capabilities, and domain-agnostic data integration to support data findability and reusability while reducing the barriers to sustainable data sharing.

Results
    We designed the mapMECFS data portal to facilitate data sharing and integration by allowing ME/CFS researchers to browse, share, compare, and download molecular datasets from within one data repository. At the time of publication, mapMECFS contains data curated from public data repositories, peer-reviewed publications, and current ME/CFS Research Network members.

Conclusions
    mapMECFS is a disease-specific data portal to improve data sharing and collaboration among ME/CFS researchers around the world. mapMECFS is accessible to the broader research community with registration. Further development is ongoing to include novel systems biology and data integration methods.

Open access, https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-021-03127-3

oldtimer, Simone, Kalliope and 8 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know of any progress emerging from this approach?

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

They list the publications, so far, from the involved groups here, https://mecfs.rti.org/publications/

Simone, ahimsa, janice and 2 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can data management tools help us discover new treatments for a chronic disease?

https://futurumcareers.com/how-can-...discover-new-treatments-for-a-chronic-disease