1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Management of ME/CFS: Adult & Paediatric - 'First Do No Harm.'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Eventbrite
    Date: August 2018
    URL:
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mana...ediatric-first-do-no-harm-tickets-46131336068

Management of ME/CFS: Adult & Paediatric - 'First Do No Harm.'
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Mon 17 September 2018, 18:00 - 21:30 BST
    Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3ST, United Kingdom

Management of ME/CFS: Adult & Paediatric- 'First Do No Harm.' has been approved by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom for 3 category 1 (external) CPD credit(s. We are delighted to announce, Dr. Michael McBride, Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland will open this event.

A new era for Northern Ireland, as recruitment for a new ME-CFS Clinical Lead (Consultant) gets underway in April 2018

This timely workshop is designed for all NHS healthcare providers, decision makers, university lecturers, medical students, teaching staff and benefits agency representatives, to coincide with the establishment of new NHS services for ME/CFS patients. World leading clinicians and researchers in this field, from Stanford University, ME/CFS Initiative and John Hopkins Children's Center, will provide a better understanding towards accurate diagnosis, management and treatment of the disease.

NICE Guidelines for ME/CFS is now under review, due to global scientific breakthroughs and reports of the ineffectiveness and harms caused by current recommendations of graded exercise therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy, the review report will not be published until October 2020. During this transition period, this unmissable event will provide all primary care staff with a greater knowledge on how best to serve and protect this large patient population in Northern Ireland.

(...)

6.00pm Registration and finger buffet

6.55pm -7.00pm WELCOME from Robbie Bulter

7.05pm - 7.10pm Hope 4 ME & Fibro Northern Ireland

7.10pm - 7.20pm Dr. Michael McBride, Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland

7.20pm - 7.30pm Louise Skelly, Head of Operations Patient & Client Council for Northern Ireland 'The Importance of The Patient Voice'

7.30pm - 7.50pm Dr. W.R.C. Weir. NHS Infectious Disease Consultant with a special interest in M.E. and fibromyalgia. 'The Diagnostic Dilemma'

7.50pm - 8.50pm Keynote speaker: Jose Montoya MD Stanford University, 'Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: An Unfolding Story of Scientific Discoveries and Future Targeted Treatment'

8.50pm - 9.20pm Natalie Boulton, Producer of the award winning educational documentary 'Voices from the Shadows' premier screening

Part 1. ME/CFS: Children & Young People - Diagnosis, Symptoms and Controversies

Part 2. ME/CFS: Children & Young People - Management Featuring Dr. Peter Rowe MD and Dr. Nigel Speight,

9.20pm - 9.30pm A Public Health Agency speaker

9.30pm - 10.00pm Question and Answer session will be facilitated.

Please contact the charity for further details and prices: hope4mefibro@outlook.com

Hope 4 ME & Fibro Northern Ireland
    Organiser of Management of ME/CFS: Adult & Paediatric - 'First Do No Harm.'

Lidia, Barry, Joh and 16 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4 hours? Probably not going to be seen as of any importance by...well.....anyone :grumpy:

(Covering everything, from what is ME, how to diagnose, how to treat, what's wrong with current approach, why, support, both practical and otherwise, research etc. - I couldn't even cover what's wrong with PACE in 4 hours, let alone anything else.)

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's probably very accessible for working healthcare staff, though, and not too gruelling for mild to moderate patients.

I also like that it offers credits to students. That's got to be a compelling reason for many to attend.

Barry, Joh, Indigophoton and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like a really good event - I hope lots of doctors and 'therapists' will go along. It may be only a few hours, but it looks like it's the sort of program that could change minds. And given that most medical and therapy training either includes nothing or an hour or two of misinformation about ME, this could well open a few eyes. Well done to the organisers. I hope it's a sell out.

Barry, Indigophoton, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

You have to present things in the right way for the audience and this looks like a good way of getting key messages out. If people want more they can follow up afterwards.

Barry, Invisible Woman, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

more like three if you exclude the 'finger buffet':emoji_pizza::emoji_cake:

sounds like a similar thing to 2016
    Presentation for Belfast. 6th June 2016

but with Jose Montoya, who must be the biggest 'attraction'.
    Sounds like a good combination to me.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, that still counts. People invariably interact and talk about things. In some ways it is every bit as important as the presentations, and achieves networking contacts that might otherwise be lost.

Edited an oversight.

Dolphin, MeSci and Invisible Woman like this.