1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

M.E. History: United Kingdom, Attempt to pass a bill on myalgic encephalomyelitis into law, 1988

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't hold out much hope there.

2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My own expectations of Jeremy Hunt are just about zero. It's probably still good to keep raising ME however we can.

So it looks as though the Bill was presented twice and lapsed twice.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but provided a means of " losing it" at least for devolved administration s

Luther Blissett and Barry like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No need to worry about losing out in any way, all evidence points to it failing to be passed into law.

5. Barry

I think the reality is that noted in the Wikipedia link @Andy gives in post #20. MPs, and those who manipulate them, can repeatedly push aside private members bills by ensuring they don't get a hearing.

6. Barry

Simply because the commons time it needed to be properly heard was persistently denied to Jimmy Hood.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How a Bill becomes Law (UK):

House of Commons:
    1. First reading
    2. Second reading
    3. Committee stage
    4. Report stage
    5. Third Reading
    Then, onto the House of Lords:
    1. First reading
    2. Second reading
    3. Committee stage
    4. Report stage
    5. Third Reading
    Then
    1. consideration of amendments
    Then
    1. Royal Assent
    Looks like this bill was stopped from a Second reading in the House of Commons stage. (i.e. 11 steps short)

As it was introduced by an opposition politician (LAB), the party in power (CON) had the power to stop it being heard early on.

andypants, AliceLily, Allele and 8 others like this.
  8. Barry

I think this must be what happened to Jimmy Hood's bill:
    [My bold]

So MPs so-minded can just keep stalling a private members bill until the parliamentary session ends.

9. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He has already avoided the question once but I sent it again so my MP sent it back to him :)

Hopefully one of his team will look into it and at least be able to tell us what happened

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thought this could provide some potential insight into the numerous objections that this potential Bill received.

The article is about the attempt to create a law to outlaw upskirting in the UK.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44496427

So potentially it seems that the conspiracy, if there was one, to block this ME Bill could have been of a different sort than we would naturally assume.

11. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did get a reply - it didn't get passed :(

12. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy thanks, but that BBC article is frustrating in it's propaganda. A good of example of the omission of important details warping the truth. As if there is just one debate and on a friday and a law pops up on the following monday. Next they'll be complaining that people are mis-informed on important subjects.

I think part of the reason these MP's do this, is they enjoy the notoriety of being seen as lone bulwarks against the tide of 'PC gone mad' and 'the loony left'.

Here's his voting record if we want to judge his opposition to 'flabby' and 'well meaning' legislation. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10103/christopher_chope/christchurch/votes

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Oh, for sure. The idea of a group of Tory MPs serving as self-appointed gatekeepers is concerning enough in itself, and a possible problem if Carol Monaghan's efforts pay off.

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I should correct that. It is said that there is already such a law in Scotland. That may be because that is a country where national dress requires men to wear a skirt.

ladycatlover, Amw66, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

and of course Brynmor John had ME and unfortunately died in December the same year after exercising in the gym in Parliament

ladycatlover, Joel, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’m wondering if anyone on the forum based in Wales knows if there are any plans to commemorate 30 years since the death of Brynmor John in December? It seems like an opportunity to highlight ME and both the fact that there is still no disease modifying treatment as well as the detrimental impact of exercise.

ETA @EspeMor are you aware of Brynmor John MP who had ME and died in 1988?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  17. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sad to see Brynmor John's name and to think despite his death, nothing happened :-(