1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

LTSE - Long Term Symptom Exacerbation - Type 2 ME or New Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by DigitalDrifter, Jun 2, 2022.

?

How should we label those with LTSE?

1. Type 2 ME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SEID

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. New diagnosis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bundle them with regular ME

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  5. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It may not be said directly, but there is not a time limit put on deteroration after PEM in most guidelines, I think. I don't think they insist that PEM is always short term and people always recover to their previous level.
    And the disabliity scales used for ME (Bell scale and MEA scale both include very severe ME with no indication that this is necessarily temporary.

I was really thinking more of the NICE guideline sections on PEM and relapse, and on severe and very severe ME that make it clear deterioration can be long lasting.

alktipping, Tia and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I'm concerned most of the medical profession don't believe in LTSE and most researchers don't mention it (I've never seen a published paper that describes it).

There's not anything there about damage from exercise or LTSE. It seems that ME is just not defined that way in majority opinion.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think they take cognitive decline into consideration which may not even be noticeable until years later.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you have to be aware that clinical definitions of diseases are not deigned to be a comprehensive description. They consist of the features that distinguish that condition from other problems or normality.

In other words, no definition of multiple sclerosis includes the inability to walk although that is a common enough feature.

No definition of ME is going to include a requirement for damage from exercise because that is unprovable, certainly in an individual case. That does not in any way detract from the fact that pretty much all of the biomedical minded community - who are the people who think ME/CF is a real category - think that exercise can cause harm.

And yes, mot of the medical profession may not believe in ME at all, but they are not really relevant if we are talking about dividing ME into subcategories. All sorts of Royal College have put their hand up in horror and said that UK NICE has invented a new disease. But presumably the is on the basis that all there is is 'chronic fatigue'.

5. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think we have a basis for identifying a separate disease, but I do think there needs to be more research into why some patients progress to severe and very severe symptoms some years into their illness.

In my own (N=1) case, a bad episode of PEM provokes ongoing deterioration that generally lasts about a year, followed by stabilisation and then an almost imperceptibly slow improvement over about two or three years that stops below the previous baseline, then a year or two at that new lower baseline before the cycle begins again. The result in my case is progressive ME punctuated by worse months and (relatively) better months. Over my forty years with this illness, this has taken me from oscillating between mild/moderate to oscillating between severe and very severe. At the start of my illness I looked very much like a typical ME patient, and now I look very much like a typical severe ME patient. Different parts of the same elephant I think, at least in my case.

Amw66, Simbindi, merylg and 12 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very much my experience too.

My relapses can be associated either with single episodes of over exertion, where I feel it is easier to attribute a causal relationship, or following periods of general increased activity during a spell of relative good health when it is harder to attribute a causal relationship or even be certain of the direction of any causality, or involve a more gradual decline.

Simbindi, merylg, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  7. DigitalDrifter

I use to think I way back when I was mild and misdiagnosed as having Fibromyalgia. I thought my doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, I might progress no matter what. So I thought I'd treat my self to a car (I'm a car freak). Biggest mistake I ever made, every time I drove it, it caused a permanent worsening of my ME. I crippled myself pretty badly. I went from being able to walk 1 hour 15 minutes a day to just 15 minutes a day, my wrists were pretty injured too, I don't remember the exact numbers but it severely reduced my daily typing capacity.

I now know that exerting myself beyond my injury threshold causes permanent worsening.

Simbindi, merylg, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure what the quote from Ramsay is but when I was first diagnosed he was still medical adviser for the ME Association and the way I do not know I have done too much until I have symptoms 3 days later I can't remember being unusual.

He never defined the disease he described it which was common in medicine then. He said symptoms were variable and there was an abnormal response to exercise which the CDC changed to PEM. At least I always thought they threw that in as a sop to the people saying the Tahoe outbreak was actually ME. I can't remember them actually doing anything about it, just the emphasis on continuing fatigue that persists today.

He described a typical patient, a fellow doctor, who would work for a month or so then collapse and need weeks to recover then start the cycle over. That does not match with recovering in 3 days so muscles recovering from fatigue in 3 days may be a different context than the way we talk about PEM.

He also said that from the outbreaks a quarter recovered, half had a variable course and a quarter deteriorated.

As we find more evidence of what happens to us when we go beyond our healthy limits we will get a scientific way of talking about PEM and more understanding of outcomes and how to prevent permanent deterioration.

Simbindi, merylg, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  9. DigitalDrifter

Simbindi, merylg, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My thought processes can be very slow these days. I got caught up in a point about this thread and not the basis for it, sorry.

I have never thought of the permanent drops in ability as LTSE, though it might be a good name for it. I think my confusion was because PEM was not talked about as such in the days I was getting worse.

Right from the start I felt it was accepted that there were things that could happen which could reduce the capabilities of someone with ME permanently.

For myself, in the years before I was diagnosed, I had the flu twice and each time I was left with worse ME which never recovered. In 1990 I thought I was better and walked too much to build up my strength (and just plain enjoy it!). I had a sudden dramatic collapse and have needed a wheelchair to walk more than a handful of steps ever since.

The idea is not controversial. Like many things, high level, medical neglect means we do not yet have the vocabulary to properly describe what happens to us.

Hutan, Simbindi, merylg and 8 others like this.
  11. DigitalDrifter

I'm sorry to here that you never recovered from that LTSE. I think it's important that we sort out the correct language to explain what we experience. It is demoralizing to see that LTSE isn't usually talked about when health care professionals or researchers discuss ME. Almost as if us LTSE sufferers have been ignored for decades. I believe describing ME without mentioning LTSE has made life very difficult for sufferers such as my self because it promotes disbelief in the severity and permenance of my illness.

alktipping, V.R.T., merylg and 2 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is a reasonable description of how many people with ME/CFS experience PEM. I don't think it excludes the possiblity of PEM lasting much longer than a few days, nor does it exclude long term or permanent worsening.

ahimsa, Mithriel, JohnTheJack and 4 others like this.
  13. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that all this terminology needs clarifying but in a 'process list' type format (diagram or something).

We've got PEM, and rolling PEM (which is effectively the state in which most with ME probably have to live in), and those in rolling PEM can have 'PEM' on top of that. Then there is crash and relapse - both of which got warped by Crawley trying to use one term 'flare' for them - which makes it sound like whatever it is will go away. But, there is definitely a situation where having to carry on in a situation where someone is struggling through above baseline for 6-12months ends up in a permanent deterioration.

This is why the 135 day was so important.

Because you manage the 'keep going' - because of the unwelcoming world around us - level of pacing, but never 'rest off' the full excess and it then seems to suddenly come and take the feet out from underneath you. Permanent, or just bed-bound for years to think you are back to the same lowly level you were before (but are actually a heck of a lot more careful and it might just feel 'better' because it is relative to being so much worse anyway) is still pretty close to medical profession needing to call it permanent rather than their temporary inferences (because it wont' recover 'on its own' without massive life adjustments noone else would want to do).

I suspect those who are more severe get this effect at levels of exertion people might call just 'PEM', but it actually 'relapse' (poor term because if it is a new level of worsening you haven't been to before it isn't really 're-' anything?).

Diagramming these stages out, getting a set of words that 'Russian doll' each other, and then probably having in said diagram 4 rows for the 4 approx stages/level of severity, with the exertion-->PEM (3-21days), exertion w/o rest --> crash (14-150days) or whatever underneath might one day be quite useful to get mapped out? Might help with research planning/fitting findings into a schema of 'what does that mean/how does it contribute to the big picture'?

Amw66, alktipping, Helene and 2 others like this.
  14. DigitalDrifter

Just did a Google search for: "Permanent Relapse" CFS

It yielded just 22 results.

15. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is important point out, that like medicine and researchers’ failure to recognise the existence of severe ME, there is a disregard for the fact that ME can get worse as well as improve.

Mithriel, bobbler, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  16. DigitalDrifter

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

There’s a thread here discussing issues with Wikipedia content about ME

18. DigitalDrifter

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/what-is-me/
    No mention of LTSE, why?

19. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scientific papers on LTSE are lacking. It's a hard subject to research because it can be hard to tell if overdoing it was the cause, or someone just got unlucky.

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member