1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

LP coach on research, Lightning Process and ME (Norway)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is so dreadful I don't even know where to start in order to give a recap. :cry::cry::arghh:
    Lightning Process (LP) coach Live Landmark has written a letter to the editor defending LP as treatment for ME.

Dette sier forskningen om Lightning Process og ME
    google translation: This is what research says about Lightning Process and ME

The management of the National Competence Service for CFS/ME has spoken positive about Lightning Process . This has displeased some people.

A small group of patients can't handle the thought of psychology connected to CFS/ME. The problem is that they make the big patient group a disservice, as shown in a research article from 2014 . The fear of a psychological approach may be due to the fact that some unfortunately have been misbelieved when they have told about their symptoms, as the newspaper The Telegraph has written about. However, it may also be a fallacy that bodily symptoms doesn't affect mental mechanisms and vice versa.

Squeezy, Hutan, rvallee and 19 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

This is published in a news site about research. I thought those days were over when Live Landmark could distort the ME debate with her alternative facts and commercial activities, but no.

Joh, Squeezy, rvallee and 12 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Didn't Phil Parker just release a sales video about LP where he stated that ME is a physiological disease without a doubt (but obviously LP can still help). Shouldn't they agree amongst themselves what it is they are "treating"?

Joh, Squeezy, Inara and 9 others like this.
  4. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't give a shit so long as they can get you to pay lots of money to do their course. They'll say anything.

My stomach twists just by reading that Landmark is at it again. Hope someone will have the energy to point out flaws in the "research" she's quoting.

Joh, Squeezy, Inara and 12 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

I wouldn't even know where to start, and as she uses the opportunity to smear ME patients, no one would listen anyway. This nonsense needs to be met from a level up by doctors and researchers. But the national competence service for CFS/ME would probably just agree with the coach :bawling:

Or is she finally reaching a point in her argument where not even the national competence service can stand by her?

Here are some examples from her text:
    - ME is a self reported, subjective condition
    - there is little documentation that ME patients are doing less than others. They are for instance ten times more active than others online
    - no negative experience with LP reported
    - Not everyone are capable of taking responsibility for they own health. The pressure can trigger stress and worries, which can lead to symptoms. Should a few persons lack of effect stand in the way for the majority's possibility for recovery?

Joh, Squeezy, rvallee and 12 others like this.
  6. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh goodness, whoever wrote that letter must have horribly overvalued the importance of the small amount of ME sufferers who are into this physical/psychical debate in general. It is true that those people who even engage in that part of the debate do the bigger community a disservice because it draws attention to a strawmandebate that is of little importance.

What many more patients are opposed to (as far as I can tell) is psychological/physical violence against sick people in general, and especially if it displaces actually helpful stuff and costs a lot of money. This letter reads as if someone who was caught holding a bloody knive standing over some mutilated body parts tried to make the argument that some people apparently are not big fans of accupuncture. Sure, maybe that is technically true, but given the situation also kind of missing the point.

Joh, Squeezy, Inara and 11 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is Landmark's rebuttal of our desire for objective measures for unblinded treatments:

:rofl::banghead:

I hadn't realised that 'activity' could be interpreted so broadly. So lying in bed listening to live streamed radio seems to be essentially equivalent to jogging. Perhaps breathing counts too?

Woolie, Snow Leopard, Joh and 18 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"little evidence that ME patients do less than others"
    seriously?

"they have ten times as high activity on the internet as others"

who are these others? presumably not people who are stuck at home with chronic illnesses.

eta: ah found it:
    "Individuals suffering from CFS / ME appear to be much more active in their use of online discussion forums than sufferers of other somatic or mental health conditions. CFS / ME online forums had more than ten times the relative activity of any other disorder or condition-related forum."

so not people with say RA, or MS.

eta2: quote is from the 'published research' mentioned in article
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3365790/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Woolie, Joh, Squeezy and 16 others like this.
  9. andypants

:rofl: I'm literally laughing at this, this is so stupid. She is digging her own grave. Thanks Kalliope, I couldn't bring myself to read the full article.

Joh, Squeezy, Pechius and 13 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apart from that...
    ...this...
    ....doesn't say anything but how unlogical Landmark's reasoning is. It is not known who these people are that are active on the forums (sufferers? familiy? carers?) and it is not known what "activity” means (liking a comment?) nor how many pwME are not even able to be active on the internet in any way or have active and passive phases alternately.
    :emoji_angry:

Edit:It could also mean that ME online forums have more to offer than other forums and simply are better :angel:

Edit 2: Just to be accurate: @inox checked how online activity was "measured":
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/lp-coach-on-research-lightning-process-and-me-norway.5917/#post-107784
    They counted posts and calculated the „number of weekly posted messages per 1,000 cases“. So whenever a smiley, a link, or a thank you was posted, regardless by whom, this seems to have been counted as a post.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Woolie, inox, Squeezy and 15 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is like saying that there's little documentation that the blind are visually impaired. After all, studies show that their TV's are on more often than those of sighted people!

Woolie, Squeezy, Pechius and 16 others like this.
  12. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They only need to agree on their 'treatment' and how much of a fee to charge.

13. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what we have been up against, for two decades now....? It's really hard to explaine the impact Landmark has had on the opinion about ME i Norway, and even distorted healthcare workers and doctors. People actually belive LP can cure or help ME-patients over here, because that is the message she has hammered in at every oportunity she gets. Even my current GP, that I adore and we're working great togheter, has suggested LP to me - not really knowing what it was.

And it's been really, really hard to counter these articles, because she is so good at twisting words and reaserch to her own liking, playing at pre-judices etc. It's been terribly hostile enviroment, to try and do any information and advocating work.

This is a great example of how she misrepresents and twist things.

That study used data from a decade ago - 2009. At that time, online forums was the main source of information for ME-patients in Norway. There were no services, and only a few doctors could make a diagnosis. It's no wonder the ME-forums had higher traffic - there was no were else to turn to.

They never measured how much time patients used online - as she likes to "tell the story".

It's not even true an ME-forum was the most active postings - it was a forum for pain patients:

Woolie, MSEsperanza, Joh and 16 others like this.
  14. large donner

large donner Guest

This is such nonsense. Its down to the person making the claim to prove with evidence that a given treatment works. LP has never done so. How body and mind affect each other is irrelevant therefore until they themselves have some bloody proof of such.

Its got fuck all to do with the fear of a given approach. Its simply their given approach has been proven to be quackery.

They could apply their logic to any claim like teapots floating in space cure ME and teapots, the mind and the body are connected. One just has to believe and not be negative about the power of floating teapots. Once its obvious that magical teapots is a pyramid selling snake oil treatment then they just go on to straw man the argument and claim that people are anti teapots.

How about demonic possession, or any other such nonsense are we just anti that too hampering our own chances of recover?

15. large donner

large donner Guest

Yes on this logic Steven Hawkins plays in goal for Manchester United.

16. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Super fatigued, but I wrote something in Danish.

Hope it's okay.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem is that they do not actually know what they mean by these words. They think the words must mean something and when they all say them together they convince each other of it, but they don't. Stupid people will go on behaving like this forever. And as we can see from the election of orange haired presidents stupid people are numerous.

But I have a strong feeling that LP is not going to get any more academic plugging in the UK.

18. large donner

large donner Guest

Whats the point of the LP then?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  19. andypants

Now, come on, think of all the other useless stuff people have come up with to earn money. Why NOT LP?

MSEsperanza, Squeezy, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)