1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Vitamin D States Observed in U.S. Marines and Navy Sailors with Early Multi-Symptom Illness : Maloney, July 2020

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mdpi.com/2218-273X/10/7/1032

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If 100% of people who have been deployed in war zones come back with below normal levels of vitamin D, it seems blindingly obvious to me that there must be a connection between losing vitamin D and high levels of stress hormones - but cortisol and adrenaline/epinephrine don't get single mention.

The last sentence of the Conclusions says :

It occurs to me that some service personnel stay in war zones for many, many months at a time. It makes far more sense to supply vitamin D supplements while they are on active service rather than allowing them to suffer from the effects of vitamin D getting lower and lower over time. Surely the powers-that-be have a duty to help their staff to stay as well as possible under the circumstances?

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if clothing and kit whilst on active duty might also be a factor? If a soldier goes outdoors in a conflict zone, his/her skin tends to be covered up pretty comprehensively; they may also avoid going out at all except when necessary. Only thinking aloud, though, I don't really know anyone who's served in the forces.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the paper, but I would not assume that the factor leading to depletion of Vitamin D when deployed to war zones was necessarily stress related. There are plenty of other factors that could explain it. For example change in diet, reduced sun exposure through wearing more protective kit, or preventive medications given during deployment.