1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low mood, poor quality of life and high symptom impact in adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelis, 2018, Neale et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MeSci, Mar 17, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Archives of Disease in Childhood
    Vol 103, Suppl 1, G13
    Date: March 2018
    URL: http://adc.bmj.com/content/103/Suppl_1/A5.3

Prevalence and correlates of low mood, poor quality of life and high symptom impact in adolescents attending a tertiary service for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    FK Neale(1), TY Segal(2), DS Hargreaves(3)
    1. Medical School, University College London, London, UK
    2. Paediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
    3. Paediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University College London
    Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, London, UK

Abstract

Background

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a condition characterised by persistent fatigue that reduces activity and affects everyday life. It is associated with mood disorders, such as depression and anxiety, and a reduction in quality of life.

More at link.

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Low mood ( again) if the overriding focus was not on fatigue ...it is not the most debilitating symptom. Perhaps then we would get better understanding

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where to begin? It's no more associated with mental health diagnoses than other chronic illnesses, so right from the get-go it's problematic.

MeSci, Hutan, Chris and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This suggests to me they haven't a clue what ME/CFS is.

5. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is "associated" with a lot of things, Bub. You try having your career, income, social life, hobbies, stamina, independence, etc all sacrificed to an illness that has no known treatments and is interpreted by random people however they like so that they can blame you--and see how *your* mood is.

Hrmph. Am grumpy today!

6. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Grr, the more I think about this the angrier I get at the low-hanging fruit of academia! ME/CFS is also "associated" (geepers, what an easy pass!) with severe pain, body wide inflammation, inflammation/atrophy of the dura/brain, chronic infection, immune dysfunction, disabling exhaustion, intractable GI inflammation/dysfunction, migraine, chronic headache, HPA axis dysfunction, dysautonomia, cognitive impairment, motor problems, visual problems, CNS inflammation and dysfunction, mitochondrial disorder, mast cell disorder....and you'd like to talk about "mood"? Thanks so much for your concern and for spending precious research dollars for the furtherance of your own career.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's also associated with:
    • drinking water
    • watching TV
    • exposure to sunlight
    • eating apples
    • birthday cake
    • giggling
    • learning the alphabet
    • looking at clocks
    • nose picking
    • picking the scab off your knee even though the adults told you not to
    • the C major chord
    • orbiting the Sun

8. Amw66

@Action for M.E.
    This is the kind of study that requires to be addressed. Many children have more than enough to contend with without this narrative continuing.
    As a charity part if your remit is education and representing your members. Perhaps this would be a good starter for 10.

ladycatlover, ballard and Allele like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

When I came down with M.E. as an adult my mood was rather low for a while.

When I was adolescent I could be moody too, and I didn't have M.E. then.

I wonder if they controlled for the above?

10. Amw66

If this was to be taken seriously at all, there would have to be a group with another chronic illness as a comparator.

11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/.../One-in-four-teens-now-obese-by-15.html
    Jan 30, 2015 - New study shows 'staggering' rates of obesity among 'millenium generation', with some hope that health messages are getting through to parents of ... The study of more than 370,000 children in England shows that 25 per cent of girls and 24 per cent of boys between the ages of 11 and 15 are now obese.

I remember E. Crawley did a study that appeared to be working very hard to show that adolescents with ME were likely to be fat. Looks to me as if the ME patients in this study were not fatter than average.