1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Loss of resources and demoralization in the chronically ill, Dischinger et al., 2019

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea what this might be like. I just thought it was interesting to see "loss of resources" mentioned in a paper. There is also a "loss of resources inventory" mentioned. I think people with ME/CFS can have huge losses of resources.

Keywords
    Demoralization
    COR theory
    Loss of resources
    Chronic symptoms

Simbindi, Annamaria, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wish they would write in plain English.
    What sort of resources are they talking about - money, employment, home, or emotional resources?

3. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wikipedia has a page on COR theory (mentioned in the keywords) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_resources_theory

This is the only attempt at a definition:

Shrug.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:sick:I really hate this pseudo intellectual way of writing that some academics use.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oddly enough, losing 90%+ of income is bad for having access to resources. More so when compensating resources are denied. Even more so when overt discrimination leads to ostracization, cutting off yet another compensating resource. It would be interesting to compare with otherwise healthy people being made to permanently lose 90%+ of their income. I suspect using those questionnaires it would be hard to distinguish as there would be much overlap.

Medicine still seems to be on square one as far as understanding the social and economic consequences of illness. As if people still believed in the disability fairy, you know, the purveyor of those sweet, sweet secondary benefits. Bit embarrassing.

JemPD, MEMarge, 2kidswithME and 16 others like this.
  6. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love your way with words!

ukxmrv, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:) I really hope to turn that into a satirical comic or video one day. I think it would hurt in places people are not aware they can hurt. So many bizarre ideas about what happens when you get sick, and most of those seem to be believed by the very same people who make it not happen. Just weird. Something like a crossover between Dora the explorer, Catch-22 and H.P. Lovecraft.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread

Psychs in shock "having a misunderstood chronic illness is shit" discovery!
    Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163834319302026
    Scihub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2019.08.002

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2019