1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Longitudinal study(s) of “anxiety/depression-related” symptoms

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Subtropical Island, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know if there have been any studies following the long term outcomes of people who exhibit what I would term physical signs and symptoms (diarrhoea, tremors and shaking, irritable bowel, chills, aphasia, ataxia... etc - see places like webmd for lists) which have been widely ascribed to anxiety or depressive conditions?

Do we know what sort of percentages of such people (compared to normal controls) subsequently develop recognised physiological illnesses? Or don’t? Rates of morbidity and mortality?

I’m thinking about the direction of causality and the correlations made (is anxiety a symptom of a broad range of illness? Is this cluster of symptoms actually describing a pathology (anxiety/depression etc) or is it just a cluster of symptoms that can turn out to be a variety of ailments?)

Have any long term studies been done following people with such (undiagnosed or psychologically diagnosed) signs & symptoms?

MSEsperanza, JohnM and Peter Trewhitt like this.