1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Before COVID there really wasn’t this diagnosis of brain fog,” Dr. Halpin said.

maybe not a 'diagnosis' (because it was almost uniquely associated with ME/CFS) but it doesn't take much searching to find its use as a key symptom.

ahimsa, EzzieD, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh right so he thinks cognitive disfunction has never been seen before. Wow.

3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Akiko Iwasaki interviewed on The Long Covid Sessions podcast (Feb 13). Interesting to hear that her initial interest in LC came via Ed Yong, and that then led to her ongoing collaboration with David Putrino, who had also been interviewed by Ed in April/May 2020.

She also discusses the importance of Twitter to her communication with patients and that she's stayed despite the recent management changes.

"I would be nowhere where I am now without that kind of direct patient engagement and learning from the patients." "I really - on a daily basis - am learning new things about what the patients are experiencing ..."

Hutan, Michelle, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interesting statistic (see figure also):

764261ff540bcd963b3692a461255b06a39065aa.png

These figures relate just to private health insurance (which most Australians do not have).

I'd be very interested to see figures on income insurance payouts for Long Covid.

merylg, Hutan, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I made a short submission to the current Australian parliament committee into Long Covid. Mostly just noting the parallels with ME, and asking them to learn from that experience and not make the same mistakes. Plus more masking, and indoor air filters (because few things at this stage could deliver more short and long-term value for LC than those two, via increased prevention).

What did you do, Prof?

merylg, Hutan, Mij and 14 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, ahimsa, NelliePledge and 11 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That annoyed me too, so I decided to reply:

Hutan, ahimsa, Ariel and 12 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that may just be James Coyne being unclear, as he often is.

11. Trish

Hutan, Missense, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  12. Sean

One could well ask when is Coyne's profession – psychology – going find a spine and put the rogue psychosomatic cult within it, that is quite clearly the root cause of all this unnecessary trouble for ME and LC patients, on a very short stout leash?

How come the pros can't manage to deliver on their end of the deal? We have more than delivered on ours.

Hutan, rainy, Missense and 21 others like this.
  13. Trish

Very well put, Sean.

Hutan, Missense, Lou B Lou and 8 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Conversation
    We got some key things wrong about long COVID. Here are 5 things we've learned

quote:

In the past we had not devoted sufficient resources to treat post-infectious or immune syndromes such as myalgic encephalitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). These syndromes are defined by excessive fatigue, which worsens after exertion, and include cognitive impairment or brain fog.

These symptoms are responsible for much of the disease and disability associated with long COVID in many people and are often more prevalent than respiratory problems.

Severe cases of long COVID, ME/CFS and other post-infectious syndromes may include a condition known as POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), where an excessive heart rate results in falls in blood pressure with even mild exertion.

Unlike survivors of COVID pneumonia, people with POTS are much less likely to benefit from traditional exercise-based rehabilitation programmes. Such programs may even exacerbate their symptoms.

Instead, approaches are proposed that have been previously applied to ME/CFS and POTS are proposed, including exercise pacing, and medication regimes. However, there is a lack of good evidence, and while trials are underway, they are few, especially in Australia.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Author is Peter Wark, Conjoint Professor, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, AU.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 3 others like this.
  16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only scanned a comment above but this looks OK to me-
    "[James Coyne] Where are the citizen scientists of the #MEcfs #pwME community when someone needs to explain the horrors of an invalid #medically unexplained symptoms” diagnosis, and how it discourages exploration of the physical causes of complex illnesses?"

I've tried to engage with the log covid community [emails and one comment/response to a post on social media] and had one response. Others, on this forum, seem to have been more successful, especially via social media, - well done.
    I've suggested this forum to those advocating for long covid.

There are lots of exemplars, like Jonathan and others who worked to improve the NICE guideline - well done, so I'm not so much asking where are the ME/CFS advocates as --- were are the long covid advocates?

Sean, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Where do you think they should be?

I would imagine that, just like the ME community, the vast majority are trying to deal with the devastating effects of their condition, while the few who are able to engage in advocacy are trying to do what they can with the limited amount of energy available to them. Neither communities owe anybody anything, despite what you might think.

Hutan, SNT Gatchaman, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  18. Sean

And whose fault is that?

Lou B Lou, Peter Trewhitt and rvallee like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frankly, looking at what has happened with LC, we punched way above our weight. We even did a lot of debunking ourselves, it's just that it turns out that evidence is irrelevant in evidence-based medicine, and that, clearly, some patients are way less equal than others.

We lead the horse to the water. We showed it the water. We mimed drinking some of the water. We took water and splashed it on its mouth, then pointed at the water.

We literally cannot do more than this to get a stubborn horse to drink. So I guess we're dealing with something more like a mule, but that may not be fair to mules as they aren't that stubborn.

Hutan, EzzieD, Lou B Lou and 7 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a virtual event today on Long Covid, featuring a US Senator pwLC, Tim Kaine (who was Hillary Clinton's VP candidate), and the assistant secretary of the department of Health.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1628080534399356928

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.