1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scientists confirm long Covid impact on heart: These symptoms post Covid are alarming

Covid is now relatively less severe than it was three years back. However, the risk related to the disease is still there as long Covid continue to torment some patients for long even after the initial recovery. Now, a new research study has shown how patients with long Covid were more than twice as likely to experience cardiac complications.

This new analysis of nearly six million patients has confirmed what cardiologists have been seeing for years on long Covid patients i.e. much higher risk of cardiovascular complications. As per the study, researchers found that patients with long Covid experienced chest pain, shortness of breath than patients who never had Covid.

Long Covid is defined as symptoms persisting or new symptoms appearing more than four weeks after initial infection.

The study included data from 11 major studies. This new systematic review and meta-analysis will be presented at the American College of Cardiology’s upcoming annual meeting, ACC.23 Together with the World Congress of Cardiology in New Orleans, as reported by Cardiovascular Business.

https://www.livemint.com/science/he...s-post-covid-are-alarming-11677309097754.html

2. John Mac

Study Finds Brain Changes in Long COVID Patients With Anxiety, Depression

A preliminary study reports that people with long COVID who experience anxiety and depression months after a mild case of COVID-19 may have brain changes that affect the function and structure of the brain. The study will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 75th Annual Meeting in April.

"There is still much to learn about long COVID, which includes a wide range of health problems, including anxiety and depression, months after infection," said Clarissa Yasuda, MD, PhD, of the University of Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil. "Our findings are concerning, as even people with a mild case of COVID-19 are showing changes in their brains months later. More studies are needed to hopefully identify treatments to prevent any long-term effects on people's quality of life."

The study involved 254 people with an average age of 41 who had a mild COVID-19 infection an average of three months earlier. Participants completed tests to assess symptoms of depression and anxiety. A total of 102 people had symptoms of both anxiety and depression and 152 people had no symptoms.

Participants also had brain scans. Researchers looked at damage to the brain's gray matter to determine if there was brain shrinkage. They also compared the brain scans of the people with COVID-19 with the scans of 148 people who did not have a COVID-19 infection.

The people with COVID-19 and anxiety and depression had shrinkage in the limbic area of the brain, which plays a role in memory and emotional processing, while the people who had COVID-19 without anxiety and depression and the people without COVID-19 had no brain shrinkage.

https://appliedradiology.com/Articl...n-long-covid-patients-with-anxiety-depression

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So mysterious... Much head-scratching...
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1629256959571505152

Hutan, EzzieD, livinglighter and 8 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ Helen Salisbury: Unfit fit note proposals

quotes:

Last week, we heard that GPs are to be encouraged to sign fewer fit notes as this will boost Britain’s flagging economy by getting people back to work.1 This particular kite has, according to the Telegraph, been flown jointly by the Treasury and the Department of Work and Pensions—and it is difficult to know where to start in shooting it down.

The suggestion manages to insult both patients and doctors, while totally ignoring the significant problem of worsening health in our country.

Perhaps, instead, we should ask why so many people are not fit to work. In 2021, the main reason for sickness absence was covid-19 and there is still a lot of it about (currently affecting one in 55 people).3 Long covid impacts two million people in the UK, with 380 000 of them reporting that their ability to undertake day-to-day activities has been limited “a lot.”4 If we add to these the 215 000 people out of work while awaiting NHS treatment, we can begin to understand why there are so many unfilled vacancies in all sectors of the economy.5

Logical first steps to reducing sickness absence could include trying to reduce the spread of infections such as covid-19, through continued vaccination and clean air (I know we’re all bored of hearing about it, but that doesn’t mean the virus has gone away).

Binkie4, Hutan, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid disabled them. Then they met a ‘broken’ Social Security disability process

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/25/business/long-covid-workforce-issues-disability-claims/index.html

I didn't have the heart to read it or post any quotes from the article.

Seems like over the past 23 years (I got sick in 1990 but didn't apply for SSDI until 2000) things have slowly gotten worse, not better.

EDIT: It's probably obvious, but I probably should mention this article is about the USA social security disability process.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    Hutan, RedFox, livinglighter and 11 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Reminds of how one patient characterised it: ME took my health away, but the medical profession took my life away.

Hutan, EzzieD, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  7. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't even mention SSI (Supplemental Security Income), which is what I have. I got sick in May 1983 (mono & strep at the same time). It took me 11 years to get a college degree starting in 1984 with night classes as that was all that I could do. As I was concentrating on getting through college when I had periods when I was able to do something, I only worked on and off part or full-time for a total of a few years. Then I spent 3 semesters trying to get through grad school but had to withdraw.

I was married for 5 years and family helped support me over the years. I didn't apply for benefits until 2001. I was told I hadn't worked enough to quality for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) and so I was only allowed to apply for SSI. It took years to get through that appeal process to determine that I'm disabled before I started receiving benefits.

Then I lost all benefits because I hadn't applied for SSDI! No one; including the lawyer they appointed me, would give me any explanation as to how this could happen. I was just told that I had to apply for SSDI, which I did. I was denied. I appealed and the judge denied the appeal saying that it wasn't proven that I'm disabled.

Beyond my medical record; which indicated that I'm permanently disabled and never expected to recover, I guess the judge thought that I liked repeatedly giving colleges money and then withdrawing from full-time enrollment when I crashed, losing thousands of dollars in tuition, and having more of my life on hold. I guess she thought I liked having to leave jobs when I couldn't function any longer or being told I was out too much and not to come back - this was at Kaiser by the way, after I had just come out of the bathroom from vomiting as I was working with a migraine and had to go home while I could still drive.

I appealed my SSDI case further but never heard back and I was too ill (bedridden) to pursue it any more. I was then put back on SSI where it was determined that I'm disabled. SSI is terrible. They keep you in poverty with extremely limited assets. If you marry someone or share a household with someone with an income or assets, or you receive an inheritance, or you get help from other people, or even from food banks, they cut your benefits. Furthermore, the payments are so low, people on it are homeless. I am terrified of losing my benefits at someone's whim during the review processes. I am also terrified of becoming homeless when I can't live where I'm living now.

How is all this fuckery allowed to continue unending and getting worse, as though people in need are nothing?

Hutan, livinglighter, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  8. Laurie P

It was jimells who would post this. I first saw him post it years before he was dying. Unfortunately, now it is true in both ways: the life he should have been living with care and support, as well as his actual life.

I just made an In Memory Of thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/james-robert-ellsworth-jimells.32078/

Hutan, JellyBabyKid, Ariel and 11 others like this.
  9. rvallee

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629496449682780162

One of the few politicians who has and had the right messaging about LC from the start.

It was announced this week that a US senator is retiring because of LC. He mentioned that 5-6 other senators also have LC, only one who has publicly mentioned it (Tim Kaine). There are 100 senators so that's a significant %.

Got some word of big numbers of LC from Germany coming out today. This is really one problem where ignoring it only makes it worse. Which makes the current strategy of ignoring it entirely pretty foolish. But I guess it's the only way this was ever going to end. The finding out phase after decades of fracking around is something to behold.

10. John Mac

Long COVID and the Brain
    A study underscores the role of inflammation in key brain cells.

KEY POINTS
    • Research suggests that tens of millions of people experience "long COVID," with many dealing with debilitating brain-related symptoms.
    • Inflammation in the brain has emerged as a major potential cause of long COVID brain symptoms.
    • Studies over the last years indicate many potential drivers of brain issues in the context of the pandemic, some of which are non-infectious.
    .........Some possible contributors to damage within the brain include viral spread into the brain, inflammation associated with infection, metabolic challenges, microbiome changes and damage to blood vessels. Yet it’s also important to highlight that many people may have experienced similar brain issues during the pandemic independent of infection, as a reflection of the stress, unhealthy eating and lifestyle changes that occurred in the context of large-scale lockdown measures. This speaks to the idea that certain brain symptoms thought to be due to COVID infection may in fact be better explained by other factors. To this end, some research finds that a sizable proportion of people attributing their symptoms to COVID may not have evidence of infection with the virus.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-modern-brain/202302/long-covid-and-the-brain

11. John Mac

Former GOP Senator James Inhofe retired because of long COVID symptoms. Other colleagues have it but keep it secret, he said.

Former Republican Senator James Inhofe said the reason he retired from representing Oklahoma this time last year was due to long COVID symptoms.

In a recent interview, Inhofe told Tulsa World that he had to leave politics because he was suffering from the long-term effects of contracting the coronavirus.

He said "five or six" other political colleagues have long COVID, "but I'm the only one who admits it."

https://www.businessinsider.com/rep...d-aid-retired-due-long-covid-2023-2?r=US&IR=T

12. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inhofe had no problem voting against many (most? all?) forms of COVID relief (even for businesses. He has healthcare for life and a nice pension because of his time in the US Senate (and OK Senate before that). He probably also has independent wealth and connections all of which allow him access to care that most with LongCOVID cannot access.

ahimsa, Michelle, Laurie P and 5 others like this.
  13. John Mac

My husband is milking his Long Covid – he's making me feel like his carer

He will barely lift a finger to make himself a cup of tea. He is dragging it out because he likes being waited on hand and foot

By Anonymous author27 February 2023 • 10:00am

As a busy working mother of three I don’t have time to be ill. I’ve made sure that I’ve had all of my Covid-19 vaccinations and never miss my annual flu jab. The £15 I have to pay for it is nothing in comparison to the time I would lose if I was laid up in bed ill for a week....

Behind a paywall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/relationships/husband-milking-long-covid-making-feel-like-carer/

As the author is anonymous is this piece just a windup?

Hutan and Laurie P like this.
  14. Laurie P

I’m on a PC and if I push the Ctlr key and A key at the same time right when I get to the article it will highlight all of the article. Then I right click my mouse and choose copy which I can do before the paywall comes up. Lastly, I paste it into a word processing program and I can read it.

This article is part of a column called “Marriage Diaries”. I definitely don’t recommend it!

Hutan, John Mac and EzzieD like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gosh they sound like such a lovely person, how lucky to have found a spouse so caring and compassionate.

Hutan, V.R.T., EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  16. Laurie P

A condition called POTS rose after covid, but patients can’t find care
    Covid is causing a sharp rise in cases of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, a disorder of the autonomic nervous system that causes rapid heart rate, fainting and dizziness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/02/27/pots-heart-fainting-long-covid/

Long article with no paywall. No mention of ME/CFS or PEM. Pathetic funding by the NIH.

Sean, RedFox and Kalliope like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stolen Lives: The Reality of Living with Long Covid

https://www.openaccessgovernment.or...ing-long-covid-coronavirus-anxiety-gp/153867/

Hutan, Sean and rvallee like this.
  18. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

POTS affects roughly as many people as ME but gets one tenth the funding. Embarrassing.

Sean, Laurie P and rvallee like this.
  19. rvallee

There's a reason marriage vows include "in sickness and in health". Family is always the first-line care for serious illness. If you're not ready for this, you're not ready for marriage. Not everyone is. But the reality of modern medicine is that it's still very inadequate, barely covers 10% of the help people actually need. It's always family that does most of the work. When that falls apart, everything else does.

This is by far the most damaging impact of psychosomatic ideology: it deprives people of all the primary help that exists, turns loved ones hostile when we need it the most. This will always be unforgivable. It is one of the most blatantly immoral things humans have ever done, and boy did we try.

This ideology has destroyed so many families, so much love, so much life that could have been. And all for the most mediocre generic nonsense ever given such power: "it's so mysterious so we'll do nothing at all, go away". Millions of lives sacrificed for absolutely nothing but needless suffering and death.

Hutan, Sean, Art Vandelay and 7 others like this.
  20. rvallee

For the record, I still regularly mostly see POTS, dysautonomia and OI dismissed almost universally with long haulers. If there has been a bit of positive change, it's so trivial it doesn't even make a bump. POTS is the easiest of them all, it literally can be objectively measured. Still can't be bothered to reach for the easy pickings.

Still the same garbage about deconditioning/stress/anxiety/the ghosts of dead aliens/magic. Learning from experience is a very rare exception to the norm, most seem perfectly content with continuing to do harm. They clearly can't even tell the difference.

And with the current model of research being completely inadequate... well it's not hard to see why the profession has failed miserably. I don't think it's possible to achieve anything with such a dysfunctional system. Discovery has basically stopped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.