Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

livinglighter, RedFox, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think this has been posted. Pfizer published an article about Long Covid. It seems to mostly repeat possible factors from another source, 7 hypotheses behind LC (listed below), but the most significant about this is probably simply the fact that they likely published this because it has finally gotten the interest of pharmaceuticals.

Which is definitely a gold mine when you think of it. It is a curable illness that affects millions of new people non-stop. People can get it, need treatment, and may need it again in the future, or it doesn't even matter since brand new people keep getting it anyway. Which is the business model of the psychosomatic quacks. They know it'll never disappear, they have an infinite mass of patients sent their way. They can call it a fad all they want, for sure they know that they will never stop getting patients. But for pharmas this is a huge opportunity.

There is frankly no reason to think that post-infectious chronic illness can be prevented. Not until all infections are, at which point basically all diseases would be solved. That's a long way off. A lot of business ahead. It's basically the perfect disease for drug companies.

The hypotheses:
    1. Viral Persistence
    2. Immune Dysregulation
    3. Latent virus reactivation
    4. Autoimmunity
    5. Microclots
    6. Dysfunctional Neurological Signaling
    7. Disruption of the Microbiome

The Challenges of Defining, Understanding, and Addressing Long COVID
    https://www.pfizer.com/news/article...ining_understanding_and_addressing_long_covid

Binkie4, alktipping, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm surprised you have a negative opinion of this. I think it's great. People at one of the world's largest drug companies are outright saying LC is biological. It's part of a trend of post-infectious illness gaining acceptance within mainstream science and medicine. It makes me wonder if they could be researching LC treatments, or planning to.

alktipping, Michelle, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure that's true. If it can be diagnosed, treated and cured at time=n, then it might be perfectly possibly to diagnose, treat and prevent symptom development at time=0. Eg

with commentary from Jeremy Nicholson -

EndME, Michelle, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

What is surprising and almost shocking is that the disease course is set incredibly early. Within the first day of infection you have a metabolic profile which predicts the outcome, and that can be whether you recover, whether you get long COVID

Very interesting and promising. If it is that clear then targeting research should be easier.

mango, Solstice, Mij and 4 others like this.
  7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

While in Norway we have yet another article that things like "it pays too little to go back to work" are perpetuating factors behind long covid, fibromyalgia, chronic pain and similar :banghead:

Michelle, mango, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen many M.D's on Twitter recognizing the seriousness of LC and approving this so it is a good thing putting that out there.

alktipping, Ariel, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

I don't see how my opinion was negative. I just don't expect anything soon. That usually holds up perfectly. This industry moves slower than molasses in the Arctic (which on second thought actually isn't always true anymore...).

I see it as a good sign, money is probably the only human motive that can save us. I just hope they see the revenue stream soon and get working on it. It's even bigger than I painted it in my comment, since you can include pretty much everyone who has symptoms past 2 weeks, and there are so many of them, continuously and on a rolling basis. At 3 months people would easily spend any amount they can, let alone past a year.

It truly is the perfect business model for a drug company, mostly thanks to the combination of policies encouraging mass reinfections and total systemic indifference to the outcomes, which maximizes the illness in both quantity and severity. I hope they see it, it doesn't seem to for now, though, or they'd be throwing a lot of money at it already.

alktipping, Michelle, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  10. rvallee

That's what I mean. It's not just worth it for us who have been ill for years. It's worth it for every single person who is ill for more than 2 weeks, and I see no reason to think that there is any difference between being ill for 3 weeks, 3 months or 30 years. There is a common factor that can be targeted and that's a client base far larger than most diseases.

alktipping, EndME, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  11. rvallee

I see this similarly to the old saying about how the future is already here, just not evenly distributed. Some people are on the cutting edge, others are stuck in the distant past, most are aimlessly wandering around. Usually, very few are on the cutting edge, we just got to figure out how to grow it.

alktipping, Michelle, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears Pfizer has just issued a RFP (Request for Proprosal)

Pfizer Independent Medical Education RFP Updates in Post-COVID Conditions: Potential Causes, Assessment, Testing, Management, and Ongoing Research

'Through this RFP it is our intent to support educational programs on post-COVID conditions targeting primary care providers''

Date RFP Issued: July 19, 2023
    Geographic Scope: United States
    Clinical Area: COVID-19
    Link to full RFP: Updates in Post-COVID Conditions: Potential Causes, Assessment, Testing, Management, and Ongoing Research
    Application Due Date: August 24, 2023
    Specific Area of Interest: Program objectives may include, but are not limited to, the following:

https://cdn.pfizer.com/pfizercom/20...ons IME.pdf?Vs0oChI9674pzuPOpm6UJ1qxAZm5tGmU=

EndME, Michelle, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Unfortunately, very small beans.

Individual projects requesting up to $300,000 will be considered. The estimated total available budget related to this RFP is $900,000.

14. rvallee

NIHR hosted a webinar on Long Covid Kids, titled "What are the next steps for Long COVID research?". Given their funding of the ClocK study, which specifically aimed and delivered denial of LC (oh, and a study that concluded that someone should study LC, such shmart people), I don't know if it's worth much, but whatever, for the record. Very long, looks about 6-7 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFW1EW_PAriS0mJqApZA4nHnpxk3aUqIw

And a write-up article, but it doesn't say much: https://local.nihr.ac.uk/news/what-are-the-next-steps-for-long-covid-research/33987.

Ariel, Dakota15 and Trish like this.
  15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RNZ Prof Danny Altmann: the burden of long COVID

quote:

Another disease noted for similarities with long Covid is ME/CFS - myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome.

"They are terribly similar. And it's really helpful and illuminating to join up those discussions," Altmann says.

"Almost every time I go on TV or radio I get a certain amount of comment from people in the ME/CFS community, really quite angry with me, and saying 'well you've jumped on the bandwagon now, but where have you been the last 20 years? Nobody's heard us, nobody's listened to us, nobody's researched on us'.

"My answer is - firstly an apology on the part of the medical community, because yeah, nobody was prepared to fund that research, nobody was that interested, nobody had the wherewithall to look at it with it.

"And, now I think we're at a kind of Rosetta Stone moment where understanding one can illuminate the other in a bi-directional way, because so many things that were discussed over the years in ME/CFS are almost certainly relevant for long Covid and vice versa."

Binkie4, EndME, Lindberg and 11 others like this.
  16. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, EndME, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

18. rvallee

I'm not sure if this is a good analogy since when the Rosetta Stone was found it had a rapid impact, experts recognized it for its major importance. Maybe not immediately immediately, but it definitely did not take decades of ignoring it, then several more years after it was identified properly. We are way past the point at which it has been studied, identified and recognized for what it is.

For sure ME/CFS, and chronic illness, are comparable to the Rosetta Stone, but there has been no such moment yet, the experts are, in fact, mostly dismissing, denying and generally ignoring it.

It's more of a Cassandra pointing and gesticulating frustratingly at the stone that everyone is ignoring moment for now, as it has been from the start.

alktipping, EndME, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. rvallee

Since we rarely ever hear anything from the RECOVER NIH initiative:
    By which she simply means that most long haulers had a mild illness, quote is a bit mangled. It's a short video.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1682453423650934784

Unfortunately I tried with a direct link to the video and it doesn't work.

RedFox, Sean, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  20. rvallee

Video from Ed Yong. Haven't watched yet but he's been one of the best journalists covering this and I see familiar faces in the interviews.

Long COVID: What Do You Need to Know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F226T43cPGI

EzzieD, Sean, ahimsa and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.