Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Ariel and Dolphin like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He doesn't get it though, does he.
    GET is not appropriate for anyone with a post-viral illness. There is no evidence base and no scientific rationale. When people are well they can exercise if they want to. There is no reason to think that even someone who is deconditioned from illness needs an exercise programme. Nor do people with lung damage need an exercise programme. What good would it do?

rainy, Wits_End, merylg and 18 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a good video, but am I the only one who can't believe that the host, Hank Green, is 41 years old? :)

Arnie Pye, Amw66, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The advice to go to the gym is wrong on so many levels they need stated. The general idea that exercise is good for everyone and exercise is medicine is a very middle class thing if it is allowed to say that.

Humans evolved to be active. Exercise, doing activities for their own sake, is a very new idea (hunter gatherer communities can't get their head round it) and has only become important as we have become more active in our daily lives.

It follows that exercise is what you do once your daily activities are completed, not where you start but tagged on the end. If there is a slogan in this it is "Be active" Better to play running games with your kids than to leave them to run on a treadmill.

The importance in ill health is that there should be no suggestion of exercising until you can manage the activity involved in daily life. Encouraging people to try to shower more often is slightly acceptable but then most sick people would shower more often if they could.

Gym membership is fine if you can afford it and are well enough to do it (I would love to) but it is beyond the reach of large numbers of people. It also feeds into profits whether the cost is from the individual or the health service so cheaper options are the place to start.

It also patronising advice, confusing sickness with sloth so lazy people are only ill because of that so need encouraged to change their bad habits. It treats patients like children who do not know what is good for them and implies that people cannot believe their own reality. The truth is that patients want to get back to their previous lives. If that is sedentary then advice to healthy people to be more active may apply but never before they are back to normal.

merylg, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...a-long-covid-symptoms-risks-unknowns/3604619/

merylg, alktipping, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to US senator Tim Kaine, who sponsors the Long Covid bill and his himself suffering from chronic symptoms (appears to be neuropathy), there are other US legislators with LC symptoms but they aren't talking about it. Could influence the chance of this bill passing and maybe even having some teeth, though that's probably optimistic as what's needed is oversight and transparency.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1505814009722798081

merylg, cfsandmore, ahimsa and 11 others like this.
  7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On Swedish breakfast TV "Malou Efter Tio" today (video, 28 minutes):

Läkaren Stefan var nära att dö av corona – lider nu av långtidscovid
    https://www.tv4.se/artikel/7qJY9w4w...a-att-doe-av-corona-lider-nu-av-langtidscovid
    I'm too ill to watch it so I can't comment on it. According to comments on social media, ME was not mentioned.

cfsandmore, Starlight, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Australian journalist, Tracy Spicer, has revealed she has been suffering Long Covid symptoms for a few months.

She mentions ME/CFS, medical gaslighting and PEM:

merylg, ahimsa, cfsandmore and 14 others like this.
  9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagine what might have happened if this sort of high profile basic research had been done with ME/CFS patients decades ago. Instead we got junk science around 'secondary gains', 'perfectionism' and 'malingering':

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Wits_End, merylg, Arnie Pye and 15 others like this.
  10. John Mac

merylg, Snow Leopard, Sean and 3 others like this.
  11. John Mac

merylg, Snow Leopard, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. rvallee

Good thread on medical disinformation and how quickly it spreads out of absolutely nothing. A speculative hypothesis is being presented as validated research and people who should know better are spreading the hopium like it's going to expire next week.

I also distinctly remember a few weeks ago when some news media were pushing the idea that "COVID toes" doesn't exist and is probably caused by people walking barefoot in their home because of the pandemic, a farcical claim that was a minor hypothesis in a paper that simply failed to validate a correlation between symptoms and biomarkers. About as farcical as a trial failing because people talked about it negatively in some news media.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1506250721242628097

Mithriel, Wits_End, merylg and 11 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Zero recognition that this is not at all a new phenomenon, completely whitewashes the entire history, even though it's especially significant in the UK, even happening simultaneously if we consider the NICE guidelines. In itself this is a massive failure that suggests a major systemic inability to learn from experience and recognize patterns in medicine. There should not be taboo subjects in a field of science. It's blatantly clear that this being an old and ongoing problem is a forbidden topic.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1506271021405458436

EzzieD, Sean, Kalliope and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    merylg, Kalliope, John Mac and 3 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Mithriel, merylg, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  17. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone reached out to people such as DA who may be sympathetic; if people mention ME/CFS repeatedly in their setup of the problem it will make it fairly hard for people to write around it. I think many people don't do this because they don't have a clear enough grasp of why LC overlaps with ME re: diagnostic criteria. Of course people don't speak about it for political reasons, but maybe this can change with the new guideline, etc, as this is a good opportunity to start again and say that things are changing.

A lack of proper framing of the issues is really harming the accuracy of commentary about Long Covid, and I'm sure that's not what many researchers want. People who have a history of saying and doing wrong things about ME have had way too much influence in the last two years and have been able to frame the problem in the way it's convenient to them. Something needs to be done to counteract this influence. It's just politics, there is nothing scientific about it.

merylg, alktipping, mango and 2 others like this.
  18. rvallee

MEMarge, merylg, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

20. rvallee

alktipping likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.