1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Discussion of the Times article which promotes the Lightning Process "My long Covid: how I finally came back to life" has been moved to this thread: Lightning Process discussion thread

Hutan and Robert 1973 like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Emerson Wheeler: We are failing the many people struggling with long Covid

https://vtdigger.org/2022/11/21/eme...g-the-many-people-struggling-with-long-covid/

shak8, EzzieD, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Highly validating and resonates with my own early illness experience. Both of our experiences completely contradict the biopsychosocial model.
    The BPS model:
    An actual patient's words:

4. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2022
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid: Urgent research needed into effects of illness on children

6minute segment
    https://www.channel4.com/news/long-covid-urgent-research-needed-into-effects-of-illness-on-children

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Young Scots teacher left unable to read books after crippling long covid battle
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-teacher-left-unable-read-28545918

I wonder how many LC patients are being diagnosed with ME...... but I think the gov recently said (qs in parliament thread) that they have no intention of collecting this data(?)

has any organisation (in the UK ) tried to set up some kind of online registry?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2022
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A good article overall, though Mr Griffin may be a little optimistic about the numbers who recover.

"We think that the majority of people will make a full recovery in time," Dr Griffin said.

Maybe. I hope so. But we will see.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If recovery means stops experiencing the symptoms of xyz then everyone recovers, eventually.

From everything.

Of course the length of time varies, for some it could be 200 years, but eventually, no more symptoms.

This is at least my understanding of in time.

9. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kalliope, Andy and Trish like this.
  10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mentions Long Covid

The puzzle of UK’s half a million missing workers

For the first time, more than 2.5 million people in the UK are out of work because of a long-term health problem. The number has jumped by half a million since the start of the pandemic - but, BBC News analysis reveals, the impact is spread unevenly across the country, with some regions and types of job far more affected.

Something strange seems to be affecting the UK workforce.
    The country is in its fourth year of sharply rising chronic illness.
    The highest rates are among 50- to 64-year-olds - but there have also been significant increases in some younger groups.
    Although the link is not conclusive, the Bank of England has said record NHS waiting lists are likely to be playing a "significant role".

But the largest increase in long-term sickness is in the catch-all "other health problems" category, likely to include some of those with "long Covid" symptoms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63625989

11. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1595231590736543744

Decades and millions wasted on a psychosocial model have not come up with anything as relevant as this small nugget from someone who is new at this. Regardless of anything, all of their work combined has never managed to grasp the reality of chronic illness anywhere near close to this errant thought.

Medicine's blanket dismissal of the lived experience of patients is one of the worst mistakes in the history of our species. It has stagnated the very profession we depend on to be healthy.

John Mac, obeat, Sean and 7 others like this.
  13. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  14. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, fixed.

16. mango

Eleonore Léone lider av postcovid: ”Tungt att lyfta ett finger”
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/eleonore-leone-lider-av-post-covid-tungt-att-lyfta-ett-finger

EzzieD, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  17. mango

Professorn om post-covidsjuka: De är inte inbillningssjuka
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/professorn-om-post-covidsjuka-de-ar-inte-inbillningssjuka
    More here, on the news/Aktuellt (video, 13 minutes, in Swedish):
    https://www.svtplay.se/video/86Y2RW...6Y2RW7&position=1384&highlight=postcovid-1384

It surprises and disappoints me that prof Petter Brodin, who has previously been involved in ME research, says in the interview that he's feeling very hopeful that they are going to be able to cure these conditions in 1-2 years (he used the expression "nåt år" in Swedish). Unrealistic expectations are not helpful.

He also talked about what they believe is the cause of post-covid: the fact that the body always has to make adjustments when it gets an infection. How hard should the immune system try to get rid of the infection? Trying too hard can be harmful too. The hormones, heart and nerves sometimes stop regulating themselves normally, and they believe that's the cause of post-covid.

He talked about other kinds of post infectious conditions, but did not mention ME.

Talking about effective treatments and a cure, he says that they believe viruses remaining in the body is one factor and they are working on treatments to remove them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Mij, TruthSeeker, John Mac and 10 others like this.
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Louie41, John Mac, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's been over 2.5 years and no progress was made at all, medicine still hasn't even caught up to the 90's on this issue. The blatant refusal to even try is evident.

Very bad idea to make such promises when the real work hasn't even started yet at the scale it's needed. No more hopium, damnit.

alktipping, Ariel, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  20. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Washington Post: Desperate covid long-haulers turn to costly, unproven treatments

Regular link (paywall)

Gift link (no paywall for 2 weeks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.