1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's also plenty of places in America hardly did anything about Covid, even in early 2020, like Florida and Arizona.

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Context: These figures are for the US. For reference, our population is 332M, around 160M of whom work.

Let's consider the implications of some of these stats:
    • 2.88M completely out of work due to long Covid (That's 0.87% or 1 in 115 Americans, 1.8% or 1 in 56 workers)
    • 1.60M forced to work part time
    • 4.48M total forced to stop or reduce work (1.3% or 1 in 74 Americans, 2.8% or 1 in 36 workers)
    • Roughly the equivalent of 3.68M full-time jobs lost, if you assume that part-time workers are averaging half the hours

alktipping, Amw66, mango and 2 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't know if this is verified, but this Tweet says:
    A Chinese business consultant in a Ted-style talk justified zero-Covid policy by saying that in 10 years the West will be brought to its knees b/c long-Covid, which will decimate most of its labor force.

RedFox, Sean, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a valid argument now, and has been for some time, but the idea that LC is one of the reasons for this policy, which was set from the start, is laughable.

It does score geopolitical points to thumb their nose about it, but I have no doubt that having LC in China isn't any better than anywhere else where they also do nothing. This is about politics, not policy.

Although it's hardly a solid point when the whole issue is denied anyway, with blame being attributed as foolishly as it gets. Nope, instead it's foolish "immunity debt" and people dropping dead of anxiety and lack of exercise, after having not been limited in their ability to exercise but let's pretend anyway.

And if medicine can take part in lying about all that, frankly they can lie about everything. Good years ahead for TCM, especially as it's not any less awful than the BPS ideology and the current state of so-called evidence-based medicine. After all, acupuncture works just the same at dealing with persistent symptoms as anything in the BPS bag of tricks, there's even evidence for it. Bad evidence, but that's EBM for ya.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  5. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The chinese had a lot of experience with SARS and a whole bunch of people have ME/CFS from that outbreak. I think its likely that they recognised very early that Covid-19 SARS 2 was likely going to have a similar effect and paid close attention to the early reports in 2020 like with the Irish Nurses. The west ignored those papers in China about SARS ME/CFS patients and even its own reports of lingering symptoms such as the Irish Nurses. Those Chinese papers on SARS ME/CFS however were probably well read in China. They aren't suffering the same delusions about the condition as is common in the west, they know full well how debilitating they are.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The NHS is institutionally buying into the narrative that increased numbers of heart attacks are caused by lack of exercise during lockdown, long covid is caused by anxiety and lack of exercise.

After the BPS club's behaviour over NICE, and now this, is there anybody still in any doubt about both their power over health & social policy, and their complete disregard for evidence and the health of patients?

These people are utterly obsessed with their psycho-drama morality-play fairy tale, and prepared to sacrifice anybody and everybody to impose it on us all, and avoid it being exposed for what it really is and held to account for the mountain of human carnage left in its wake.

They. Don't. Care. :grumpy:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It would have been helpful if that person had provided any supporting evidence for their claims. At the moment it's just a random person venting on Twitter, which doesn't prove anything.

alktipping, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long COVID affects millions. What is being done about it? - The Boston Globe
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/10...affects-millions-what-is-being-done-about-it/

9. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Today the Swedish Covid Association published the first long covid information material in Swedish aimed at family members. (Has been fact checked by ME doctor/researcher dr Per Julin, among others.)

Nu publiceras första informationsmaterialet i Sverige
    https://covidforeningen.se/nu-publiceras-forsta-informationsmaterialet-i-sverige/
    (ETA twitter thread.)

Peter Trewhitt, Kalliope and Wonko like this.
  10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read all of it, just checked for mentions of PEM and ME. (The Swedish Covid Association usually never mentions ME.)

alktipping, Ariel, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt and mango like this.
  12. Kalliope

Laurie P, alktipping, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NIH
    Feeling Fatigued?

Finding Possible Causes

Send us your comments

https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2022/11/feeling-fatigued

Amw66, Lilas, Sean and 3 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

They have a side bar titled "Wise choices"
    I wonder if they actually belive health care providers are fully up to date about PEM and exercise?

Quote:

How Can I Feel Less Tired?
    Healthy lifestyle changes may help you regain energy:

• Eat a healthy diet. Nutritious foods can give you energy to do things you enjoy.
    • Get physically active. Experts recommend healthy adults get at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week. Those with ME/CFS or Long COVID should talk with their health care provider before exercising.

Sean, RedFox, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are some good points made here in alongside the terrible headline and unfortunate use of "fatigue" and "tiredness" throughout:

I've left a narky comment under the article but the SMH's moderators usually choose not to approve mine for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    oldtimer, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  16. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see any comments at all it shows 0 and clicking on it also shows no comments. Clear your cookies/login and I suspect you may find they have misled you.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Art Vandelay

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My comment is still waiting to be moderated. Their moderators only seem to work very limited hours and it's the middle of the night here.

Given my track record of my comments on SMH articles not being approved, I'm not hopeful it will appear in the morning.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  18. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged post
    Will Long COVID Research Provide Answers for Poorly Understood Diseases Like ME/CFS?

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-arti...rly-understood-ailments-like-chronic-fatigue/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2022
    DokaGirl, shak8, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  19. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ Art Vandelay . I also left a comment but it's somewhat too late now - the article is off the front page. There's one objection to chronic fatigue by someone called Smart Cookie. It amazes me that there's not mass outrage!

My comments often don't appear for some reason.

DokaGirl, alktipping, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  20. Art Vandelay

Mine wasn't approved. I suspect my comments are too critical of their articles ;)

DokaGirl, alktipping, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.