Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

them Long COVID is More Common in Bisexual and Trans People. The Reasons Why Are Complicated

quotes:

In a world where transgender people are more likely to live with chronic illness in the first place, this may not seem so surprising. “Of course [trans people] have higher rates of long COVID,” says JD Davids, co-founder of the advocacy and policy group The Network for Long COVID Justice. “We have lower rates of being treated as humans. People who are denied access to health care, resources, or bodily safety are at higher risk of ill health outcomes, including this massive disabling event known as long COVID.” Davids has lived with long COVID since March 2021, and has also lived for decades with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), a similarly debilitating condition.

Ultimately, despite the groundbreaking research of many scientists and the observations of activists and advocates, there has been a sluggish response from the U.S. government to treat long COVID with the same urgency as they developed vaccines. #MEAction, which advocates for people living with ME and their caregivers, has also called upon the Biden administration to incorporate feedback from people most affected by chronic illness when making plans to address it. “The government’s forthcoming action plan must make a complete break with the decades-long pattern of neglect and marginalization of the ‘millions missing’ who are living with complex chronic illness,” the organization’s U.S. advocacy director Ben HsuBorger said in a statement.

Ariel, Lilas, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Has COVID-19 caused an increase in [UK] Income Protection claims?

"The financial value of Covid claims paid to date is small relative to the value of claims otherwise paid by Income Protection insurers. Most Covid claims have arisen on policies with short waiting periods and most of the people claiming have returned to work rapidly.

There is little evidence of increases in premiums resulting from Covid.

The insured population is not representative of the general population. It is certainty plausible that in the general population there is higher prevalence of Long Covid that is severe enough to affect ability to work.

But for the hundreds of people who have received insurance benefits to date, the money and other support services will have relieved some of the worry that comes with suffering from Covid-related health issues."

https://covidactuaries.org/2022/07/26/has-covid-19-caused-an-increase-in-income-protection-claims/

Which all assumes that the insurers are 'playing fair' with any claim that gets submitted to them. Claims paid is not necessarily equal to claims made.

Hutan, Lilas, Sean and 7 others like this.
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The majority of long-COVID patients suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, a disease entity very similar to ME/CFS"

Long COVID and the cardiovascular system – elucidating causes and cellular mechanisms in order to develop targeted diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. A joint Scientific Statement of the ESC Working Groups on Cellular Biology of the Heart and Myocardial & Pericardial Diseases

https://academic.oup.com/cardiovascres/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cvr/cvac115/6649450

Hutan and Ariel like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thread here, Long COVID and the cardiovascular system – elucidating causes and cellular mechanisms in order to (...), 2022, Gyöngyösi et al

5. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An opinion piece published today, commenting on Kjöller's most recent opinion piece.

Elsa Kugelberg: Vi vill gå vidare, men lidandet för dem med postcovid kan inte viftas bort
    https://www.dn.se/kultur/elsa-kugel...t-for-dem-med-postcovid-kan-inte-viftas-bort/

6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I've seen this argument so many times I want to scream.
    Lately I have been thinking how differently we handle bad quality research based on what it is about. Take masks, the argument that they don't work in the real world because people don't use them right is common. With nutrition we continue to talk about the benefits of healthy eating despite the real world data that says people are not following dietary guidelines anyway. We have dietary guidelines for a number of illnesses, but very few controlled studies that show they work in any meaningful way. Sure someone will argue that nutrition (and lifestyle advice in general) is rubbish, but it's still an important part of public health work.

So no longer "chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis"? :rofl:

Hutan, Missense, Sean and 9 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've read some tweets from doctors that are now referring to M.E as 'now called CFS'.:unsure:

Sean, alktipping, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

I've also seen it the other way around. I don't think I know about any other disease with this type of naming issues..

9. Mij

Bronze John updated to Yellow Fever
    Black Dog updated to Depression
    Domestic Malady updated to depression or another sort of emotional breakdown
    Jail Fever updated to Typhus
    Change of Life updated to puberty or menopause
    The Shakes updated to Parkinson's Disease

Imagine all the possibilities :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Missense, MEMarge, merylg and 4 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

Now that you mention it there was an opinion piece from a GP here in Norway recently about how in some litterature relevant for medical professionals diabetes types II is still called "old man's diabetes" while type I is referred to as what occurs in children. This causes problems when people mistakenly believe someone has type I or II based on their age alone.

Lilas, MEMarge, merylg and 6 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit random because I just saw a similar discussion, but this is a flaw in human nature, and it's that different disciplines handle it better than some depending on how rigorous they are, medicine probably the worst of all. It depends on biases and incentives, whether getting things right even matters, whether it's easy to assess after the fact.

There's been a lot of discussion lately on social media over the SSRI hypothesis, and I can't help but see that in response to a major error being corrected, most people default to doing the same thing. All over all I see is people basically rolling their eyes at how obvious it is that all of this is caused by lifestyle choices, by not eating well and not exercising enough.

For which the evidence is just as poor as the serotonin hypothesis. It's too easy to ascribe failure to not doing something basic right. The answer is so damn easy, so basic, it's so evident and everyone is basically guilty of not doing simple things right. The main consequence of this is that being guilty of doing simple things wrong obviously has a simple fix: you. You are doing it wrong. So just do it right. Right? Poor? Make more money. Sick? Don't be sick. Exhausted? Just stop being exhausted and move. Discriminated? Don't be discriminated. It's so simple a child could think of it. Literally, it's childish thinking after all.

This isn't just the general public, because medicine, surprise, comes from the general public as well. They represent the whole population and culture, more or less. We see generally the same over Covid's shortness of breath, and how the immediate default, and somehow going strong, was that the obvious answer to people not being able to breathe right... is that they aren't breathing right. Duh. Your breathing patterns are just wrong. You are literally breathing wrong, unlike people who breathe right and have no breathing problems. Idiot.

The same with us and the generic MUS model of thinking too much. Or too little. Or wrong. Essentially though, we're thinking wrong. And not moving right. All simple things that a child does naturally, and we kind of just "forgot" how to do it right, I guess.

Medicine is every bit as guilty of this as any random person. It comes from the same place, from having lived 99% of our species' existence without the knowledge that there is such a thing as actual knowledge. Science is very unnatural to us and it's simply too easy to fall back to our default algorithm of blaming vague shadows out there, somewhere.

12. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a good article by Marie-Claire Seeley from The Australian POTS Foundation:

BurnA, Hutan, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This early on, changes in working patterns will very much be an underestimate. Some with mild conditions will manage by severely curtailing their other activities to stay in full time work. Some will succeed in this struggle to continue working but others in the next few years will recognise the struggle is futile.

I did not go part time at work until after some four or five years, and then I was only forced to finally take ill health retirement some four or five years after that. This included a final six months of sick leave, before the retirement was agreed.

[for some mysterious reason I managed to publish this post before I had written the content, so edited to include my actual post.]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Sid, Hutan, bobbler and 11 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

From our national public broadcaster. Message seems to be slowly getting out in Australia that this a long haul health problem.

It is a more general article that discusses a wide range of issues, including the long term consequences of repeat reinfection, but not Long Covid specifically (IIRC), and also possible universal (all variants) Covid vaccines.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...s-universal-booster-stop-the-spread/101284428

Hutan, Lilas, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Mij

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's the study.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  20. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.