1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long COVID and Post-infective Fatigue Syndrome: A Review - Wyller, Moss-Morris, Crawley, Knoop, Lloyd et al, 2022

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Fatigue is a dominant feature of both acute and convalescent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) (sometimes termed “long-COVID”), with up to 46% of patients reporting fatigue that lasts from weeks to months. The investigators of the international Collaborative on Fatigue Following Infection (COFFI) conducted a systematic review of post-COVID fatigue and a narrative review on fatigue after other infections, and made recommendations for clinical and research approaches to assessing fatigue after COVID-19.

In the majority of COVID-19 cohort studies, persistent fatigue was reported by a significant minority of patients, ranging from 13% to 33% at 16–20 weeks post-symptom onset. Data from the prospective cohort studies in COFFI and others indicate that fatigue is also a prevalent outcome from many acute systemic infections, notably infectious mononucleosis, with a case rate for clinically significant Post-infective fatigue after exclusion of recognized medical and psychiatric causes, ranging from 10%–35% at 6 months.

To better characterize post-COVID fatigue, the COFFI investigators recommend the following: application of validated screening questionnaires for case detection; standardized interviews encompassing fatigue, mood, and other symptoms; and investigative approaches to identify end-organ damage and mental health conditions.

Journal: Open Forum Infectious Diseases

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/8/10/ofab440/6367589

2. Kalliope

3. Kalliope

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

COFFI was established by all the usual suspects several years ago to promote their bogus ideas.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Oh hooray, a BPS celebration of their great contribution to knowledge on 'fatigue'.

Well at least it provides us with a list of who to avoid. With Paul Garner as consumer advisor just to remind us they really really don't get it.

Unsurprisingly there is a lot of emphasis on psychiatric factors which they claim predispose and perpetuate post infectious fatigue.

They recommend the Chalder fatigue scale and SF36 Physical function along with a range of psychiatric questionnaires for assessment, and of course barely mention any negative effect of activity, and using all the old ideas of boom and bust and fear avoidance of activity.

Particularly noticeable is complete avoidance of the terms ME, CFS, PEM and PESE.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So both sets of data agree that a substantial fraction of patients have unexplained fatigue.

Which, presumably, includes being unexplained by the psycho-behavioural fear and deconditioning model so long promoted by the authors?
    Suspiciously specific. Would seem to rule out a lot of physiology. Are the immune and endocrine systems 'end-organs'?

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are revealing their complete ineptitude by continuing to obsess over making it all about a single symptom, and not even at that, since they have an alternative definition of fatigue. They still don't have a freaking clue about any of this.

It's been 2.5 years and the LC community is already sick of their crap, find those people to be completely mediocre and that's for the mediocre work they did before. But this pseudoscience is beloved in healthcare, even though it's ineffective BS. Brilliant work, folks. This is how to completely destroy the credibility of a profession, by making everything about themselves.

janice, Sean, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting see Ben Katz in that list. From memory, he co-authored a study with Lenny Jason on a prospective study of EBV infection in college students. There was a media article about the study in which he made it sound as though psychological measures were associated with going on to develop post-infection fatigue. But, and I'm uncertain about all of this, the paper later did not show this. My main recollection is that things did not seem to add up, and it was very odd to have Lenny Jason associating with someone with those views. I'd be interested to know about what was going on there.

Thanks for posting @Kalliope, the authors must have had quite the time, bolstering each others preconceptions. Here's the list of authors for completeness:
    Carolina X Sandler, Vegard B B Wyller, Rona Moss-Morris, Dedra Buchwald, Esther Crawley, Jeannine Hautvast, Ben Z Katz, Hans Knoop, Paul Little, Renee Taylor, Knut-Arne Wensaas, Andrew R Lloyd

I note Paul Garner wasn't involved, which is odd given his background in infectious disease and evidence review and his obvious ongoing interest in Long Covid. Perhaps he is too tired to do academic work these days?

Medfeb, ladycatlover, Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chalder and Sharpe still at it? Sigh.

Also, we need to stop treating ME as a diagnosis of exclusion.

10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. If medicine just keeps testing around ME, and never tests for abnormalities or dysfunctions that have been found by ME experts, this will further help delay knowledge about what is going wrong.

Doc says: "You don't have this, and you don't have that, and you don't have something else, so you must have ME."

But what has been learned about ME in this scenario? Just what it's not!

11. dave30th

I didn't see that article. Do you remember where it was or have a link for it? I'd be curious to read it.

Katz is at Northwestern and it was a study of Northwestern students. Lenny is at DePaul University. Both are in Chicago. Katz has generally held the views expressed by COFFI, as far as I know, so I was surprised that they collaborated. In any event, the study found paper zero pre-morbid psychological differences but various differences in metabolites related to specific metabolic pathways. I thought it was a good paper and my infectious disease colleague at Berkeley, John Swartzberg, praised the study design and thought it pointed out some interesting biological areas for further investigation. (There was some understandable confusion at how the study defined "severe" disease. Severe was defined as meeting more than one definition of the illness--I think they used Fukuda, CCC and ICC.)

I'm interested to ask Lenny what he thinks of Katz' participation in COFFI and this new paper, which mentions the Northwestern findings but essentially ignores them in its conclusions.

Snow Leopard, Lilas, Medfeb and 12 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A Validated Scale for Assessing the Severity of Acute Infectious Mononucleosis, 2019, Jason et al
    There's that one where it's a bit oblique, but there is a suggestion that there is a useful treatment, and Jason undertook to query it with Katz. But I'm sure there was something else by Katz referring more directly to risk factors in the mononucleosis study.

edit, it was that same article, specifically the sentence before the point about treatments, that made it sound as though the study had strengthened the idea that 'psychologic factors' were a risk factor:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    Lilas, ladycatlover, janice and 6 others like this.
  13. dave30th

Hm, I don't remember seeing that at the time. In any event, the results paper didn't find any psychological parameters, but apparently Katz doesn't believe their own findings, I guess. Or doesn't find them convincing enough to not put his name on COFFI's paper.

alktipping, Lilas, Medfeb and 7 others like this.