1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to feel tired: A learning trajectory towards chronic fatigue, 2018, Lenaert et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Campanula, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Campanula

Campanula Established Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Chronic fatigue complaints are frequently reported in the general population and fatigue ranks among the most commonly reported symptoms in chronic disease. In contrast to its high prevalence and impact on quality of life, relatively little is understood about the etiology of chronic fatigue. We present a cognitive-behavioral framework, the ‘ALT+F’ model, that conceptualizes fatigue from an associative learning perspective, and we will evaluate the current evidence for this position. Central to this framework is the notion that interoceptive and exteroceptive stimuli can become associated with the fatigue experience. Consequently, these stimuli may acquire the capacity to elicit fatigue as well as anticipatory fear-related avoidance behavior. We will argue that associative learning processes may contribute to the development of chronic fatigue, fear of fatigue, avoidance of fatigue and activity, and eventually, functional disability. The extent to which associative learning processes give rise to chronic fatigue and fear-related avoidance behavior may depend on a number of risk factors, including perceptual-cognitive biases, sensitization, fatigue catastrophizing, and excessive generalization. The presented framework offers a new window on treatment and intervention options for chronic fatigue.

Link: Learning to feel tired: A learning trajectory towards chronic fatigue - ScienceDirect

2. Campanula

Campanula Established Member (Voting Rights)

I don't even know where to start with this one....

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We already had the PACE trial which tested a similar idea and showed it doesn't work.

These people may have been taught to believe that they have a theoretical understanding of ME/CFS but it's a false belief.

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the problem may be that the article has not translated well from double-Dutch.

When exactly does this associative learning take place. You are fit and healthy and then within a short space of time you are "fatigued". What did you learn in that time to overcome the learning of twenty or thirty years?

MEMarge, Graham, Atle and 21 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also the inverse should be asked, why does absolutely everyone who has ever had a substantial illness not develop idiopathic chronic fatigue as well a host of other chronic symptoms resulting from associative learning?

MEMarge, Arvo, DokaGirl and 21 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now, now, you wouldn't want to be considered Dutchist would you?

These people are obviously right. When I read "Learning to feel tired..." through my exteroception

Hey presto, I feel fatigue coming on, cos I've read this stuff before . It isn't associative though, it just makes me feel tired cos I can't stick it.

I tried ALT+F

I get ƒ.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

May I suggest by putting it in the bin? :banghead:

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Graham and 16 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely quit your day job, whoever wrote this trash.

DokaGirl, Graham, Atle and 17 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there's a typo before the text. Says it was written in 2018. Perhaps should be 1820?

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Graham and 24 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Or 1280.

MEMarge, Cheshire, DokaGirl and 20 others like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For an abstract about the 'ALT+F' model, it's remarkably full of...

[​IMG].

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    MEMarge, Arvo, DokaGirl and 21 others like this.
  13. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leeches and witch- burning would seem to be the logical next step :slugish:

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Graham and 10 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And casting out devils. :devilish:

DokaGirl, Graham, Atle and 9 others like this.
  15. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm feeling like ALT-F4ing this shit

or CMD-Q for my fellow mac gang members

Forbin, DokaGirl, Graham and 14 others like this.
  16. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bringing back tarring and feathering for quack/fraudsters should reduce this kind of tripe .

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Graham and 9 others like this.
  17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. I've always thought that was odd, and incorrect. Many pwME develop it in their 30s. So how come they waited until then to get ME? They recovered from previous viruses. All of a sudden these previously healthy active people take an entirely different tack, and decide they are afraid of exercise and exertion.

Another illogical belief.

MEMarge, Atle, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

If I tried to write a parody of BPS thinking, I know I could not do as well as these people have in their abstract.
    It's worth celebrating these people here:
    Bert Lenaert
    Yannick Boddez
    Johan W.S.Vlaeyen

Caroline M.van Heugten
    from Maastrict University in the Netherlands, and the University of Leuven, Belgium

The only appropriate initial response to this involves the F word. I was delighted to scroll down through the reactions here and find that many of you felt the same.

MEMarge, Graham, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I actually got myself quite worked up over this, which I guess is silly, because these authors probably just slapped this piece of patient-blaming twaddle together, added another publication to their tally and blithely moved on to write prejudiced ignorant nonsense about something else.

@Snowdrop actually just said a lot of what I thought about saying here, on another thread
    Article in Verywell:Treating Post-Exertional Malaise in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

People who write this rubbish forget that they are talking about real people, people who of course have tried to exercise their way out of this illness and people who are deeply harmed by their lazy unevidenced speculation.

I could write more about the specific experiences of my children and I, but most of you have heard most of it already. Nothing about our experience fits with this proposed 'Alt Framework'.

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Reality says NO.