1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Journalist Requests ME Employment/Disability Stories

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Justice, finally, for stricken Washington Post reporter by David Beard

Here's a short article by a former colleague of Brian Vastag ( @B_V ) published on the Poynter website. Despite its brevity, there are enough links to provide details for the less-informed.

https://www.poynter.org/news/justice-finally-stricken-washington-post-reporter

"He worked for the richest man in the world. He was an energetic hiker and lover of the outdoors — and a hard-charging science writer for The Washington Post (where we worked together).

In 2012, Brian Vastag was felled by a fever. He’s never recovered. The science reporter was stricken by what he calls “the most forlorn of orphan illnesses” — myalgic encephalomyelitis"

The article ends with this paragraph:

"Readers, have you or do you know of anyone who has gotten ME, in or outside of journalism? Were the claims treated seriously? Has your company evolved in its view of ME? Let me know at dbeard@poynter.org. Thanks!"

Here's a link to information about the Poynter Institute:

https://www.poynter.org/about-us

It starts by saying: "The Poynter Institute is a global leader in journalism. It is the world’s leading instructor, innovator, convener and resource for anyone who aspires to engage and inform citizens in 21st century democracies."

It appears David Beard may be interested in reporting more about ME. If so, this could be an excellent opportunity to gain an ally in the field of journalism.

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pointed him toward Hillary Johnson.

JaimeS, alktipping, FreeSarah and 3 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we somehow get his story published in the Washington Post?
    Assuming he is interested.

NelliePledge likes this.