1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

JOGO Health Launches COVID-19 Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study May 2020

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Sly Saint, May 13, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...chronic-fatigue-syndrome-study-301058714.html

Michelle likes this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JOGO helps healthy brain cells rewire to work with muscles that have become inactive due to stroke and other neuro-muscular conditions. JOGO is a prescription digital therapeutic product composed of wearable wireless s/EMG sensors, and a patent protected Mobile App that provide treatment protocols and games that can be adapted for muscle relaxation, movement coordination, and neuro-muscular re-education, all leveraging neural plasticity.
    https://www.jogohealth.com/science

:confused:

Hutan, Michelle, Legend and 7 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:confused::confused:

Michelle, Legend, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never heard of them but the more* the merrier.

* provided it's competent, we'll see...

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh well. Guess it's not competent.

My muscles are working fine. I have not lost strength at all, it's almost puzzling in fact. They simply cannot sustain the effort, though. And they hurt all the time but whatever. I stretch and do very light exercise many times per day. My muscles are definitely not inactive. No clue where they got this idea.

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'nearly 35%' sounds suspiciously like a figure I used in another post earlier - 34.27%

I therefore conclude that, just like my made up figure used to illustrate a point, that this is made up, which, even if everything else was equal, which it doesn't appear to be, casts a certain amount of total doubt over the veracity of this study, in my mind.

alktipping and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Kalliope

Here's what on their website about Covid-19 and ME/CFS:

JOGO provides Telerehab to help patients receive critical rehab during COVID-19 in the following areas via Telehealth.

• Pain Management
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
      (35% of COVID-19 patients suffer from CFS post recovery)
    • Stroke Rehabilitation
    • Pregnancy Antenatal Exercises
    • Speech Therapy
    Get in touch with us!!
    https://www.jogohealth.com/covid19

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it strange that there is a press release saying there will be a study but there's no details about the study.

9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spare me the enthusiasm of commercial interests seeking opportunities to exploit the ME health niche. I think we're kinda done with being exploited this way.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who knows. Maybe they'll do something useful for covid 19 patients that have lasting symptoms, like telling them they are not going crazy and helping them deal with work absence.

Kalliope, Sean and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And this source for this claim is? Give 'em a chance to actually recover from covid first!

For some reason I have an image of vultures circling.....

Hutan, alktipping, Kalliope and 5 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

It seems the source is Solve ME/CFS Initiative?

From the article @Sly Saint copied in the first post of this thread:

According to the patient advocacy group Solve ME/CFS Initiative, nearly 35% of COVID-19 patients are experiencing ME/CFS symptoms post infection. Since the onset of ME/CFS usually follows a viral infection, experts estimate up to 3,570,000 new ME/CFS cases following the COVID-19 pandemic. This would more than double the existing cases of ME/CFS in the United States in just 36 months, according to Solve ME/CFS Initiative.

Hutan and Michelle like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

I definitely still have sufficient strength to do most things. But I don't have the necessary stamina, and any attempts to improve it end badly.

It is not loss of strength (though that may well be an unavoidable secondary complication for the more severe patients), it is loss of ability to use that strength repetitively (and without horrible consequences).

Hutan, alktipping, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Classic neuro-babble.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Sure, but where are they getting this information from?

I'm not saying it's incorrect. I don't know but, given covid has such a wide array of symptoms, we don't know for sure who has had covid and who has not.

In the UK at least there are a probably a fair few who have possibly had it, checked the NHS website but not contacted the 111 advice service & so will not necessarily be counted in the numbers of those who were infected.

We have others who are pretty sure they have been infected but have been told by the advice service that they don't have it as they don't have a fever but have a cough, or have a cough but not a fever, or have other symptoms.

I don't necessarily have a problem with someone saying that we can't know for sure how many but based on x, y and z we estimate that 35% might go on to develop......

I do take issue with an absolute statement unless it can be backed up.

I also question if it's appropriate to label someone with ME too soon. Some of us experience ME symptoms that are the same or similar as symptoms of infection. Some of the 35% may yet make a full recovery in a month or so and have no long lasting effects. If a relatively high proportion of that 35% make a full recovery within a few months then that will simply add the misconception that "most" people improve in time.

If some of those 35% undergo the therapy provided by Jogo and were about to recover anyway, it gives a false impression of the efficacy of that therapy.

I've never seen real proof of the "most" people improve in time - one of the reasons I'm wary about such confident declaration without proof. I haven't seen how "improve" has been defined either in this context.

Unless, it's backed up with solid facts, I worry this type of statement will backfire badly on us.

If we criticise BPS cabal for making statements without any proof then I don't think that should be acceptable from ME advocacy either.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

I found this from April 15th 2020
    https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COVID-ME-CFS-Recommendations.pdf

It states:
    1. Some COVID-19 patients are exhibiting ME/CFS symptoms (nearly 35% of patients)

The references are:

The New York Times - Some Coronavirus Patients Show Signs of Brain Ailments
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/health/coronavirus-stroke-seizures-confusion.html

Neurological Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective case series study - Ling Mao et al
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20026500v1

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Mary Shelley might be within her rights to claim a breach of copyright, if copyright lasted for 202 years.

18. Invisible Woman

Thanks for the references @Kalliope :thumbup:.

I still think it is too soon to know. Those references are not enough, to my mind, to extrapolate to the wider population with any authority.