1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarred Younger confirms neuroinflammation in brains of ME patients

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sasha, Sep 24, 2018.

1. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cort does a really good job on promoting M.E. dropping these bombs. I wish at least half of them were true though.

2. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: It’s hard to imagine that that grant application won’t get funded

Right. Now we’re jinxed. Thanks a lot.

Health care research funding happens at a rate of 10% of all applications in Canada. For all topics.

3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was a small study, "15 ME/CFS women and 15 age and sex matched healthy controls," but...
    If this hold's up, it will be a biomarker. That alone would probably qualify it as the most important discovery in ME/CFS... ever.

And that could change everything.

4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What matters though in a biomarker is, can it discriminate between patients with ME and other diseases that causes brain inflammation?

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mmm. Selection criteria for the study @Londinium mentioned may be more critical than may initially appear.

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My headaches often behave like muscle soreness, and I called it "muscle soreness in the head" (more as a joke), only that talking, reading, conentraining is the "training".

I hope to see some papers. That would be great.

7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even if the test turns out just to be for non-specific brain inflammation, it would show that ME patients have such inflammation, which would still be a big deal in world where people claim that ME patients can exercise their way to health.

8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a good description of post exertion headaches, Inara :) I agree, it feels like I strained my brain muscle after too much mental effort. Not to be confused with the crash headache attacks, which are more like someone put an ice pick through my eye and asked a giant to stand on my head.

9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards, is the fact that the Japanese work is in Japanese a barrier to the work getting taken up? Is there anything that patients could/should be doing to get it translated, such as contact the team and offer to pay for professional translation, or try to find a patient with the skillset to offer a translation to them (bearing in mind that they'll need not to just know Japanese but also enough about science?

Maybe one of our charities could pay for translation.

MEMarge, Lisa108, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sure that neuroinflammation is real. I don't need a test to know I have it. The inside of my head feels warm. Not just warm actually, but it's very hard to describe the full sensation. A term that might fit is low grade brain nausea, malaise and a little bit of headache thrown in too. The sense of balance is also a little abnormal. I would never fall due to it, but it feels like my perception of movement and balance is not 100% aligned with what's actually happening. I also don't tollerate car traveling well due to acceleration, stops, curves, and bumpy roads making these symptoms worse.

Interestingly other people say no when I ask them if my head feels warm. It may not be possible to feel the increased temperature on the skin.

Also interestingly, I am not sure I ever brought this up in front of a doctor because it's subtle, always present and thus has become normality, and hard to describe. Maybe this means that this kind of problem tends to go unreported, or it could mean that maybe other aspects of the illness are more important.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you have low basal temperature, as lots of PwME have, would a" normal" temperature represent inflammation?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question.

12. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to add here : I hypothesise that any active inflammations are being affected negatively by ME as well.

MEMarge and Perrier like this.
  13. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

exactly the same here

14. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get what you mean by this phrase.

My brain doesn’t feel on good form this morning but I wonder if there’s some connection between Younger’s finding and the NRXN1 variants OMF are finding to be much higher in ME?

upload_2018-9-25_10-52-10.png

I’m not well enough to read it this morning but I have this paper bookmarked Wang, X., Christian, K. M., Song, H., & Ming, G. (2018). Synaptic dysfunction in complex psychiatric disorders: from genetics to mechanisms. Genome Medicine, 10, 9. http://doi.org/10.1186/s13073-018-0518-5 :

15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They never followed up with me either. I wondered at the time if they were filtering out more defined ME patients, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so...

16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Car travel has become impossible.
    Was ill ( unable to sit up without severe dizziness) for 2 weeks after my last car journey and had to fly home.

17. Jenny TipsforME

@Binkie4 car journeys trigger really bad PEM for me too (I assume as a sensory overload type of thing), but was a plane better? Train journeys make me very nauseous/vertigo so I thought it was traveling in general.

MEMarge, merylg, AliceLily and 6 others like this.
  18. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was quite a long delay in follow-up as they'd filled the quota but then apparently got extra funding to do more scans, which is when I was contacted. FWIW, I wasn't turned down due to any kind of ME/CFS selection criteria - the scanner they're using is much stronger than a normal MRI and so they excluded anyone who'd had *any* surgery, ever - so the fact I had a small op when I was 18 months old was enough to exclude me. Apparently the magnet is so strong they also excluded anybody with a tattoo as any metal in the ink would heat up and cause a burn!

19. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FWIW, I would be cautious about thinking this will lead to a specific biomarker. As Milo notes, a biomarker would need to discriminate between this and other diseases - and I believe there is some evidence that some depressive disorders noticeably impact lactate levels in the brain. Indeed, the study I referenced was planning to use bipolar disorder as an extra control group for that very reason (though when I spoke to them a few months back I got the impression that was still to be confirmed).

So, if this replicates, you might end up at least being able to demonstrate something is going on (i.e. it's not malingering) but it might be tough to distinguish between a number of other conditions that have traditionally* been seen as psychiatric in nature.

*though I am interested in the increasingly popular hypothesis that some psychiatric conditions have an immunological basis - I've been meaning to add this book to my reading list...

20. Jenny TipsforME

This could be useful for evidencing Disability. Laziness or perfectionism or any of the other contradictory and unhelpful stereotypes about ME wouldn’t look like general inflammation on a brain scan. And people with mental health issues are able to claim disability benefits.

I wonder if initial biomarkers might be a combination of say three or four tests? Eg this might possibly differentiate us from healthies as a first step, another might show muscle/metabolism problems which differentiate from purely psychiatric conditions and another which differentiates it from a similar condition which isn’t otherwise ruled out eg autoimmune conditions?

We don’t necessarily need just one test for ME which has no false positives/negatives.