1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Janet Dafoe - The Whitney Plea

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, May 10, 2018.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That could very well be it. But J's exploitation of this gesture is universal and I don't like it. My mistrust from the other place is tattooed in my brain, unfortunately.

Inara likes this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

For me it doesn't matter whether it's Christian or some other kind of spiritual or just begging - it's not a gesture I would ever use in any context (unless momentarily when clapping my hands to express appreciation of a particularly good performance) and I don't want it used on my behalf.

Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there's any religion in this scenario, it's Collins. He's overtly Christian, and that was part of his whole brand when he became head of NIH. He has written a book about faith and science. (I'm not religious but it is my opinion that a person of faith in his position might do well to be more charitable.)

With respect to people who have a distaste for the video, I also want to add that prayer hands is not the exclusive domain of religion (in the same way as the word "explicit" does not have the exclusive domain of "sexual" except by association,) it is useful to note when we are making conditioned associations that may have nothing to do with what is being communicated.

I see it as "heartfelt wish" in this case, and being non-religious but with a long background of asian philosophy and culture, have no problem with the gesture of respect and humble greeting that it is at its basis.

ETA and if it cracks the wall of NIH's resistance, I ain't gonna complain

Inara, petrichor, Forbin and 6 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In so far as the Davis/Dafoe's spiritual life is anything to do with us, and I don't think it is- freedom of belief etc-, I think they follow the Native American Indian Cherokee tradition.

If I remember correctly, Ron and Janet led a song from that tradition at the first #MillionsMissing demonstration, maybe in San Francisco. And I'm pretty sure someone said Ron played the drum rhythm for an annual Native American event they attended.

I think that visual symbol to Francis Collins is just an advocacy tool, but one that isn't well received by all. It didn't resonate with me but I respect other's choices if that is what they feel.

ETA: insertion of 'native' in line 2

NelliePledge and Allele like this.
  5. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Part of the issue for me with this plea is the fact it can be interpreted in so many ways, a lot of them bad it seems.

If the original message isn’t being communicated clearly then everyone’s individual interpretation is as valid as anyone else’s.

This is just a disaster.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand the concerns, but no petition/project will be perfect, and I've put my name to things that have had elements I'm really not happy with.

It can be difficult to constructively criticise more personal and emotional forms of advocacy. I've got to admit to feeling irritated with Janet for some of her earlier behaviour, and that possibly affecting my judgements. Reckon I'll just stay out of this one.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[edited]

Why is it a problem for people to express their opinion on the video compilation sent to Francis Collins? Both positive and negative?

Discussion can help us make better advocacy choices in the future and that benefits us all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
    Diluted-biscuit, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This isn't an episode of 'The Walton's'.

So long as we follow the forum rules we can disagree.

When people are attacked for have a different opinion and some people won't let it go that becomes harassment.

Hutan, Trish, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  9. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't mean to pick nits, but this is not a British/American thing, this is a we-need-to-up-our-communications-game-if-we-are-to-be-a-united-patient-group thing.

There will never ever be 100% data accord between any two people let alone in a group. Having likes/dislikes is one thing; having the emotional maturity to recognise the rare moments in which it is useful to effectively express them is another.

I may have issues with Js actions in the past but that does not stop me from fully and totally appreciating that she and her family have done more for PwME than any other have ever done. And if we don't implode our movement by being selfish about our passing likes and dislikes, they are positioned to do a whole lot more. For me, that takes precedence and I focus on that, because it is of vastly greater importance to me and to many.

I really wish we'd all get our knickers out of their twist and see how we can contribute to each other, rather than tear one another to shreds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

All my posts on this thread so far have been my personal views.

I am going to put my moderator's hat on now.

Please can members be mindful of the rule:

Rule 1: No personal attacks or public accusations
    While vigorous discourse and even disagreement is to be expected on a forum, it is not appropriate to insult other forum members or attack them on the basis of their characteristics or motivations. Public accusations against other forum members are also not permitted, as they distract from the discussion and can escalate a situation. Disagreement should focus upon the arguments made, not upon the person making those arguments.

11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This thread has been temporarily closed, due to the availability of moderators and the content of recent posts.

It will be open again in a few hours.

12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The last couple of pages of this thread have been edited heavily to remove a problematic phrase and reactions. I'm sorry to those of you who have had thoughtful comments deleted or edited.

This thread is now open again.

Speaking honestly about advocacy can help make future advocacy stronger. However, a divided community makes our advocacy weaker. It's a difficult balance.

Any further posts in this thread that breach Rule 1 in particular will be deleted.

Last edited: May 28, 2018