1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jamie Strong, a member of Karl Morten's team at Oxford, nominated for the National Diversity Awards

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/1119284930687664133

https://nationaldiversityawards.co.uk/nominate/22663/

As far as I can see, the tweet refers to voting but it's actually nominating Jamie, so there is a little more effort required in that you need to explain why you are nominating him.

petrichor, TiredSam, Aroa and 12 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

You don’t need to put loads.

JaneL, Hutan, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Either there is variance between their and my understanding of the words 'nomination' and 'vote' or there is seemingly some form of site error occuring.

My understanding is that once someone has been successfully nominated it is unusual for the vote to be in the form of renominating the same person.

The top of the page says he needs votes, but the bottom is demanding a short essay on why he should be successfully nominated.

Inconsistent

Importantly with no way to cast a vote, only a way to nominate someone who has already been successfully nominated, and should be past that process.

Of course, if my understanding of the words 'nominate and 'vote' is flawed and incomplete, I hope they start using this method for general electoral purposes.

The idea of an original 2000 word short essay being required to cast a vote for a MP seems like 'fun', and could radically change British politics.

alktipping, JaneL, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

JaneL, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, this is just how the awards work. I know a few people who've won or been nominated. Think of it as voting to shortlist, rather than voting to win outright.

The public can nominate literally anyone, so they balance that out by requiring people to vote for nominees. That way, only people with a certain number of votes make it to the shortlist, rather than everyone who gets a single vote.

Incidentally, I went to check more info, and then (lovely surprise!) saw my mum in the purple image (on the left) here: https://nationaldiversityawards.co.uk/categories/

It looks like she enjoyed the party last year: https://nationaldiversityawards.co.uk/national-diversity-awards-winners-interview-touchstone/

Revel, JaneL, diwa and 10 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

JaneL, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  7. Wonko

I hope he wins but I am unable to participate in this, never having met him, or heard of him, previously.

A nomination is different from a vote.

Literally every word I submitted would be a lie.

alktipping, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

Oh that's interesting. I assumed there was a panel who decided the final winners.

He better get tweeting then?

JaneL, DokaGirl, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://nationaldiversityawards.co.uk/judges/ - there are judges and there is voting by nominating. It doesn't seem a very clear process, I couldn't find any rules on their website to explain it either.

JaneL, Hutan, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  10. adambeyoncelowe

So the voting must help with shortlisting, and then the judges pick the final winners? I can't imagine they'd leave it entirely to popularity.

JaneL, DokaGirl, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps you could say something like 'Recognition of Jamie's achievements would help to make the millions of people around the world (or x million people in the UK) with this life-sapping (or some other negative adjective) disease more visible and better understood'.

I have heard of Jamie before, I think it would be great if he was a winner of this award.

ukxmrv, JaneL, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Wonko

That won't work, I don't know any of those things.

A vote is a vote, not really subject to interpretation.

A nomination is a public statement recommending someone for something, giving, usually personal, reasons. After submission it is subject to interpretation, the beliefs and bias of whomever processes it. It may be disregarded, it may be weighted as to relevance, or because of who wrote it. It is not a vote, all nominations are not equal.

I realise others don't seem to have this problem but I cannot nominate someone I know nothing about, other than the publicity blurb associated with the nomination campaign. That is not a sensible basis for nominating someone, as everyone else will have glowing nomination publicity as well.

If he loses by 1 vote then I will feel bad, but this is not an acceptable system.

13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know him and don't want to vote for someone I don't know. For all I know he could be a secret LP enthusiast.

JaneL and Hutan like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, fair points.

There's some information here, but not enough I expect.

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...ance-of-achieving-its-target-2-december-2016/

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...-the-oxford-research-centre-13th-august-2018/

15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is quite possible. They do say that vinyl is back in fashion. It is problematic, though, for pwME. All that having to get up to turn them over.

16. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s some information about the work he’s doing with Karl Morten’s team at the University of Oxford:

https://www.wrh.ox.ac.uk/team/jamie-strong

ukxmrv, Rosa, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I either heard or read Karl Morton talking about Jamie and his value to his research team. From what I remember he considers him a very valuable asset to the team with excellent analytical skills (or something) and they also particularly value having someone in the team who, with his daily struggles to manage to work within what his illness allows is an inspiration to them to try to help solve ME.

He sounds like a very worthy candidate for the award and I wish him well, but like others here, I'm not sure about writing a nomination. I would vote if it were simply a matter of ticking a box.

JaneL, adambeyoncelowe and Wonko like this.
  18. Wonko

I have no problem with voting for him, but I can't nominate him as my doing so would be inappropriate.

Voting for him is not an option tho.

JaneL, adambeyoncelowe and Trish like this.