1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the efficacy of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation influenced by baseline severity of fatigue symptom in patients with [ME], 2019, Yang

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207454.2019.1663189
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1080/00207454.2019.1663189

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*cough* unrandomised.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure how you can randomise if there aren't even any controls?!

TrixieStix, shak8, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The patients were hospitalised for 3 or 4 days for the treatments. Surely the effect of improvement in fatigue could be from resting more while in hospital.
    They really needed to have a randomised control group having exactly the same hospital care and sham treatment, then compare results between groups.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Same point as Trish, just more words. But I've written them, so will post anyway.

Oh, good grief. A treatment desperately in search of an illness.

The Brief Fatigue Inventory asks you to rate your fatigue (i.e. weariness and tiredness) now and for the last 24 hours on a scale of 1 to 10. If you took any group of people and had them prepare for a 3 or 4 day stay at the hospital, they would probably turn up a bit weary. Packing, making arrangements for the care of the children or the dog, getting to the hospital...

Then have them sit around for three or four days, with meals provided and no obligations. Give them any treatment you care to dream up that involves reclining for 18 minutes at a time. Ask them to rate their fatigue again at the end of the three or four days. And, like magic, there's a response to the treatment!

To be fair, on average, gains were maintained over the two weeks following discharge, but there's a whole host of expectation and researcher pleasing potentially at work there. Out of the 21, after two weeks 6 got worse or essentially stayed the same with respect to baseline BFI and 3 were lost to followup.

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was in hospital for a fortnight being traumatised by neurologists but no one paid any attention to the fact I felt much better being fed 3 times a day without effort and spending the rest of the time lying in bed reading.

alktipping, Annamaria, shak8 and 11 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This doesn't appear to be of any value. There are too many flaws to conclude anything.

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The authors could join Science For ME to learn how to actually produce reliable evidence. Or maybe read a textbook which they have apparently never done.