1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Insights into myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome phenotypes through comprehensive metabolomics, 2018, Lipkin et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@Sing I’ve had a lot of laryngitis and swollen glands in my neck when I first started getting noticeably ill about 7 years ago at one stage a dr thought I had mumps. I don’t get swollen glands so much now but I do get tender points around rib cage shoulders and neck which I believe are tender lymph nodes.

2. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re the symptoms of swollen glands and fevers, makes sense they’d be related to what kicked off the ME, as well as possibly the length of illness. I believe my case started with an enteroviral illness.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See, this is where we're all different. I had the initial viral/vertigo/mild sore ear/sore throat onset for 5-6yrs. Then the relapse 7yrs later from taking immune modulators which brought on autonomic dysfunction, this and PEM are the most debilitating symptoms for me.

For the last 15 years my ears/glands are inflamed and sore 80% of the time after 27 years of illness. And the vertigo keeps coming back even worse than before.

merylg, Sing, adambeyoncelowe and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A couple of articles have been published about this research and are discussed on this thread.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. deleder2k

deleder2k Established Member

Has anyone tried ordering B5? "Use of vitamin B supplements was associated with higher levels of pantothenic acid and lower fatigue scores (data not shown)."

Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the main symptoms of my PEM is swollen and painful lymph nodes. This is often accompanied by drenching night sweats and fever dreams. My normal body temperature is low (in hospital every nurse thought the electronic thermometer was broken when the got my result).

I am EBV negative and had a Coxsackie B onset many years ago

Forbin, adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a brief look at this paper earlier; it looks like a bit of a monster i.e. there a lot of information here.

I wonder if these findings fit in with Ian McGregor's theory (emerge conference last month) that ME is chronic sepsis. I.e. leaky gut produces chronic sepsis; altered metabolism (energy production) failure of muscles to take up oxygen ----. Here's an article which deals in clearer language (for lay people - I'm one) with this subject - sphingolipids, ceramides --- gut bugs --:
    https://www.omf.ngo/2017/10/19/treating-autism-and-mecfs-could-one-drug-do-both/

ScottTriGuy, Andy and Amw66 like this.
  8. intrepidation

intrepidation Established Member

Running trend in these kind of studies, seems to me, to be disturbances to lipid utilisation and maybe the TCA cycle?

merylg, Amw66 and Andy like this.