1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Increased IgA responses to .. LPS of commensal bacteria .. associated with inflammation, activation of cell-mediated immunity in CFS, 2012, Maes et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hutan, May 18, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

An old paper, but potentially of interest given a recent finding of increased IgA in a substantial proportion of people attending a post-Covid clinic.

Abstract
    Background: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is accompanied by a) systemic IgA/IgM responses against the lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria; b) inflammation, e.g. increased plasma interleukin-(IL)1 and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)α; and c) activation of cell-mediated immunity (CMI), as demonstrated by increased neopterin.

Methods: To study the relationships between the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of microbiota, inflammation, CMI and the symptoms of ME/CFS we measured the IgA/IgM responses to the LPS of 6 different enterobacteria, serum IL-1, TNFα, neopterin, and elastase in 128 patients with ME/CFS and chronic fatigue (CF). Severity of symptoms was assessed by the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (FF) Rating Scale.

Results: Serum IL-1, TNFα, neopterin and elastase are significantly higher in patients with ME/CFS than in CF patients. There are significant and positive associations between the IgA responses to LPS and serum IL-1, TNFα, neopterin and elastase. Patients with an abnormally high IgA response show increased serum IL-1, TNFα and neopterin levels, and higher ratings on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than subjects with a normal IgA response. Serum IL-1, TNFα and neopterin are significantly related to fatigue, a flu-like malaise, autonomic symptoms, neurocognitive disorders, sadness and irritability.

Conclusions: The findings show that increased IgA responses to commensal bacteria in ME/CFS are associated with inflammation and CMI activation, which are associated with symptom severity. It is concluded that increased translocation of commensal bacteria may be responsible for the disease activity in some ME/CFS patients.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21967891/

Peter Trewhitt, Mij and Starlight like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I can only access 'snippets', but it looks as though the authors were suggesting that there might be an exaggerated IgA response to an antigen challenge.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

There's also that small study on increased translocation of LPS in pwME following exertion.