1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) - The Need for Radical Reform, 2018, Scott

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Londinium, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happy to look at coordinating on something on the patient.co.uk page. Whole sections (which taken together comprise the lion's share) of the Insight Healthcare site look problematic to me.

There is also a medically unexplained symptoms page, which refers to ME & CFS:
    Good to see them coming up with their own content. From RCPsych's MUS page:

"What if there is no physical explanation for your physical symptoms? We can often understand and explain such symptoms when we look at how our thoughts, feelings and stresses can affect our bodies."

"To understand them we have to think about how the mind and the body work together."

MEMarge, Hutan, Inara and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh what merry bullshit! It is so like Stanley Unwin:

'To understandiways the sympitoes need to thinkybout howsie mind-a-bodyo worky togetherwise.
    Then a nicely goes.'

I guess that would be called Stansplaining these days.

Mithriel, MEMarge, Inara and 7 others like this.
  3. Sarah

What's the only thing worse than a misdiagnosis?

A musdiagnosis (ba-doom tish)

obeat, Keela Too, Mithriel and 13 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Now that the CDC have updated their Information for Healthcare providers, would the simplest thing to do with some of these other sites be to ask them to get into line with the CDC?
    See this thread.

MEMarge, Hutan, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If somatization is real and they understand it, why not explain in a sentence how it works and what it is exactly?

Is lack of clear explanation because somatization is not a scientific fact but merely a belief that is useful to ensure jobs for academics and therapists?

An astrologer would probably struggle to give a credible explanation for the following statement:

"To understand these symptoms, we have to think about how the position of the planets and stars influences our bodies."

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

definitely that would be a good approach I imagine there will be push back and some Webdog doggedness will be required

MEMarge, Hutan and Inara like this.
  7. Sarah

There are two Patient.info pages, a conditions page:

https://patient.info/health/tiredness-fatigue/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

And a medical professionals page:

https://patient.info/doctor/myalgic-encephalomyelitischronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-pro

Both pages were authored by a GP, Dr Colin Tidy and appear to have been published in December 2016. According to Wikipedia, if I correctly understand leaflets to mean webpages, they are updated every two years or earlier if necessary.

This sounds like a good approach. An additional approach might be to tackle the professional page, which is referenced, and make some simple clearly referenced suggestions. The author has cited Geraghty a couple of times, and Nacul, which is encouraging. If they take referenced suggestions on for the professional page, that provides leverage for pushing for some changes to the condition page if this isn't automatically done.

MEMarge, Hutan, Inara and 2 others like this.
  8. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed!

I thought "Chronic fatigue" has its own ICD code, but I've just searched and found nothing.

Ah, now I found it, "Ermüdungssyndrom" (fatigue syndrome - but not chronic fatigue) is listed under Neurasthenia F48.0. So actually they imply that ME/CFS is the same as Neurasthenia. And they are mixing everything - chronic fatigue, fatigue syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome...Come on! Oh my, this is such a pain... :grumpy:

Hereby I found that in ICD 9 Chronic Fatigue and CFS had the same code, it seems?Does someone know more?

MEMarge, Sean, Esther12 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Inara

psychology/psychiatry are very good in making circular definitions.

TrixieStix, MEMarge, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. Inara

@arewenearlythereyet, where is tripe when we need it? :D

No, seriously, under different circumstances I would think differently, but with LP and the like in mind, where you can get healthy with magic...there's nothing more to offer than tripe. :wtf:

Edit: Well, if only it was magic!

MEMarge, Trish and NelliePledge like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Sarah

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge, Esther12 and Inara like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Sarah

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they (BBC) have completely missed the point and are making out that, largely due to lack of funding, some areas are not reaching targets for access to therapy.
    From what I have read before (Marks and Scott), the main issue is the poor recovery rate and bad 'value for money'.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think part of the problem is that Mike Scott does not himself do much to suggest CBT is ineffective. He seems to want it done a different way. He seems to have a view similar to Wessely - that cheap and cheerful rollout is not as good as 'proper training'.

But certainly the BBC seem to have missed any suggestion that maybe the treatment does not actually work very well.

18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is so like the debate over trickle-down (or supply-side, whatever) economics. The justification for why it fails is always that the tax cuts for the wealthy just weren't large enough. You just haven't done it big enough for it to work. Never mind the budget crisis / suffering it will totally work one day!

Particularly fitting in that no one who defends trickle-down economics actually believes it works. They just make stuff up because it's good for them.

19. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"examples of some medically-unexplained symptoms are fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME), unexplained pain and non-epileptic seizures"

I have read this before but just actually took in the meaning. They are saying that fibromyalgia and ME are symptoms not syndromes or, god forbid, diseases. I had read other things that led me to believe that they are using fibromyalgia to mean widespread pain and CFS/ME to mean fatigue but it is explicit here.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

MEMarge, Inara, Skycloud and 4 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen that many times in the wild.

Naming a syndrome, which by definition means a collection of symptoms, by a single symptom should be considered malpractice. It's complete nonsense.

Not even counting that fatigue is a misleading description in the first place. The hubris and arrogance are astounding. Complete and total failure.

MEMarge, Amw66 and Mithriel like this.