Impaired Endothelial Function in Patients With Postural Tachycardia Syndrome, 2021, Abby H Chopoorian

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mij, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33486983/

A research team led by finds endothelial dysfunction plays a key role in postural tachycardia syndrome, leading the way toward targeted treatment for this poorly understood condition.

https://discover.vumc.org/2021/04/endothelial-dysfunction-in-postural-tachycardia-syndrome/

Ryan31337, Sly Saint, jaded and 12 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the bit of blood vessels that affects how/allows blood vessels respond to change in demand is implicated in a condition where it is thought that demand/response isn't being controlled correctly?

Is it just me?

Shouldn't they have confirmed this very likely scenario.....like 50 years ago?

Starlight, Wyva, Midnattsol and 11 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An uneducated guess, but my understanding is this study is in the same ballpark, or maybe even the same row in the stadium? It's from 2005:

"Circulation. 2005 Oct 25; 112(17): 2611–2618.
    Published online 2005 Oct 17. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.104.526764
    PMCID: PMC4511487
    NIHMSID: NIHMS708540
    PMID: 16230486
    Decreased Microvascular Nitric Oxide–Dependent Vasodilation in Postural Tachycardia Syndrome
    Marvin S. Medow, PhD, Christopher T. Minson, PhD, and Julian M. Stewart, MD, PhD......

Background

One variant of postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS), designated low-flow POTS, is associated with decreased peripheral blood flow related to impaired local vascular regulation."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4511487/

Seeing this study was published in 2005, and the leader for this thread was published in 2021 causes me to echo @Wonko, and the frustration that science is indeed very slow. How many people with POTS could be helped if there could a breakthrough in this area, instead of just resorting to extra hydration, salt and maybe steroids that work for a while, perhaps have side effects etc.? I find OI one of the top debilitating symptoms.

Ryan31337, alktipping, jaded and 5 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Mij for posting this study. It is hopeful researchers are looking at this part of the chain.

alktipping, Forbin, Mij and 4 others like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the lesser amount of dilation in patients correlated to higher blood pressure on standing. You'd think more blood trying to get through a less dilated blood vessel might do that. It's also not clear from the abstract if there were differences in vessel diameters in patients and controls prior to standing. It seems like you'd want to know if there were absolute baseline differences in vessel diameter between patients and controls before they were stressed by standing. The percentage differences between patients and controls after standing might be on top of greater constriction in patients prior to standing (in other words, it could be even worse than it looks). I'm not sure how easy it is to establish baseline blood vessel diameters, though. They might vary due to body size, gender and other variations.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    alktipping, Mij, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.