Trial Report Imbalanced Brain Neurochemicals in long COVID and ME/CFS: A Preliminary Study using MRI, 2024, Thapaliya et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Slamdancin

Slamdancin Established Member

Glutamate also increases cerebral blood flow which might be a compensatory mechanism that when working can keep a pwME in the more mild categories.

Sean, Kitty, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do they mean by the following?

"the Glu (p=0.017) level was only significantly higher in ME/CFS after adjusting for multiple group comparisons"

Also weird that Long Covid patients had a strong negative correlation between physical function and Glx, while in ME/CFS patients there was a strong positive relation between the two.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Sean, Peter Trewhitt, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Research UK:

Dr Barnden and his team at Griffith University and the University of Queensland have recently published the most recent article in a series reporting the results of their ME Research UK-funded study investigating brain abnormalities in ME/CFS. Their new findings show increased levels of the neurochemicals glutamate and N-acetyl-aspartate in the brains of people with ME/CFS and those with long COVID, which may contribute to some of the symptoms associated with these diseases.

Find out more:
    https://www.meresearch.org.uk/resea...eurochemical-levels-in-me-cfs-and-long-covid/

MeSci, Sean, Lindberg and 4 others like this.