1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Illness perceptions in adolescents with CFS (2019) Cara Haines, Maria Loades, Cara Davis

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MeSci, Feb 18, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry

Preprint

Date: February 15, 2019

URL: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359104519829796

Illness perceptions in adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome and other physical health conditions: Application of the common sense model
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Cara Haines(1), Maria Loades(1,2), Cara Davis(1)

1 Department of Psychology, University of Bath, UK.
    2 Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol, UK.

Abstract

Background

The common sense model (CSM) proposes that illness perceptions guide coping and illness management, which subsequently affects outcomes. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is associated with severe functional impairment. CFS is distinct from other physical health conditions in that individuals can experience high levels of uncertainty, stigma and disbelief from others. This study aimed to compare illness perceptions in adolescents with CFS with other physical health conditions, using a cross-sectional, between-groups design.

Methods

Adolescents (aged 11-18) with CFS (n = 49), type 1 diabetes (n = 52) and juvenile idiopathic arthritis (n = 42) were recruited through National Health Service (NHS) clinics and online, and completed a series of questionnaires.

Results

Adolescents with CFS differed on the perceived consequences, timeline, personal control, treatment control, identity and understanding dimensions of illness perceptions. Except for identity, these dimensions were predicted by health condition even when accounting for age, gender, fatigue, physical functioning, anxiety and depression.

Conclusions

Results offer preliminary evidence for the applicability of the CSM in adolescents, with implications for supporting adolescents with physical health conditions. Results suggest that psychological interventions targeting perceived control, understanding and identity may have particular utility for adolescents with CFS.

Keywords: CFS, JIA, diabetes, illness representations, common sense model

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So people with ME, diabetes and arthritis have different perceptions about their illness? What a surprise. How can a paper get published with no data in the abstract?

The more drivel that comes out of Bath and Bristol the less credible any of their stuff becomes.

Hutan, TrixieStix, DokaGirl and 15 others like this.
  3. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely there's a problem with the commonsense model CSM that they use.
    They imply it affects outcome. What nonsense. All diseases have differing levels of severity which has nothing to do with perception.

Hutan, DokaGirl, andypants and 7 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

It in't the common sense model. It is the popular prejudice old wive's tales model, as we all know. And, as Lewis Walpert said, science is about discovering that the world isn't necessarily the way common sense (or old wives) might paint it. Often it is unexpected.

TrixieStix, DokaGirl, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  5. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So

perceived consequences, timeline, personal control, treatment control, understanding dimensions of illness perceptions

were

predicted by health condition

For an illness where there isn't any real treatments, the illness by nature fluctuates and is nearly impossible to predict and how severe the consequense will be, leaving patients with little control and even the worlds best scientist are working on understanding......?

I'd say these kids are spot on. Poor kids :broken_heart:

DokaGirl, Amw66, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WaLoC model. (What a Load of....)

No data in the abstract and no meaningful data in the full paper, no doubt.

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there should be any point in comparing illness perceptions in ME kids with other ill kids - then they should be compared with other not well understood illnesses, with no treatments options etc. This isn't comparing the kids perceptions - but how the lived experience with a more well-known disease differs from kids living with a less understood illness.

If these researchers could change their own perceptions over to the actual lived experience for kids with ME, how it is to manouver health services etc with a much questioned illness, and how things could be improved for the kids, they might actually do something useful.

" Results suggest that psychological interventions targeting perceived control, understanding and identity may have particular utility for adolescents with CFS."

Totally unlogical - results suggest that we should help children with ME gain some actual control.

9. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the lack of personal control is attributed to the patients perception. That is completely stupid.
    I have another condition which is far better known than ME. I have a very strong sense of personal control for this condition; whereas I barely have for ME (I do not control anything, exept that I can avoid crashes by pacing as much as I can, which as everybody knows is very difficult).

DokaGirl, Amw66, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is Esther Crawley's clinic.
    http://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/services/clinical_depts/paediatric_cfs_me/info.asp

This shows clear selection biases in the CFS patients that does not necessarily exist in the other samples, namely referal to a clinic that focuses on psychological treatments. These differences between groups therefore are not generalisable and it says as much under the "limitations" part of the manuscript...

Hutan, Medfeb, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering how they came to that conclusion.

Part of the CBT 'fight back'?

Hutan, DokaGirl, andypants and 4 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

always disappointing when new Bath/Bristol stuff comes out and they’ve not deployed the shopping bags

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The dumbening of medical science continues. I'm really looking forward to this fantastically professional group of intrepid researchers puzzling over how adding water to a sponge wets it and why does the sponge thinks it is wetter when more water is added despite this being quite unusual to a common sense approach to the world where sponges naturally unwet themselves by some sort of voodoo magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

14. Jonathan Edwards

Especially now we are trying to save the planet. All shopping bags are supposed to be re-usable.

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, they seem to be pretty good at recycling rubbish.

ukxmrv, TiredSam, Skycloud and 13 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Sly Saint that made me smile much needed today :thumbup:

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would expect a lot more of the same over the next 18 months. S
    Just think what this funding could have looked at in an alternative universe.

ladycatlover, Hutan and MEMarge like this.
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recovery stats again - from the team that also say 80% recover naturally.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  19. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, Hutan and MEMarge like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably not much. Rubbish like this is cheap.

Quantity > quality.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.