1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

IiMER International Conference Week London 2019

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Very professional event yet again from Invest in ME.

Got to chat with a number of researchers, I don't want to count my unhatched chickens but I'm hopeful of getting three or four Q&As from today.

Hutan, Cheshire, ahimsa and 32 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know if there's a DVD of the conference to order? I had a look at the IiME website but couldn't find anything.

kendonoghue, Simone and Andy like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whether there’s enough Brits there and why they aren’t us up for debate but it looks like an absolute stellar cast of scientists, not just from America either. So well done IIME, I think they’re a bit lost Ito of actual research direction themselves since rituximab but this year conference looks fabulous.

I think It is a bit odd that it’s NIH involved & Solve promoting this whereas I’m guessing our MRC don’t attend and our charities havent mentioned it. I personally always saw the CMRC conference as an attempt to sideline Iimes already established fabulous conference and to essentially show case the MRC funded stuff and get a perhaps more “broad church”narrative out there (bearing in mind Esther Crawley , intent on behaviour approach was the top CFS dog for the first years). Imo just promoting the Iime conferences instead of setting up a different one would have been as helpful because the actual science and purely biomedical research for complex illness invest in ME manage to pull off is precisely what I’d love Uk “interested” professionals, the MRC and young PHD students etc to see and be engaging with. Apart from the Norwich researchers how many Brits were presenting or attending and learning from all this? What were audience sizes like and who was in it? Perhaps I’d be pleasantly surprised and I’m very pleased to see that UK physio I’ve seen getting engaged with the community attending and I’m sure blown away.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were at least 3 researchers that seem to be new to ME/CFS.

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

IiME filmed the talks as usual and, after editing and processing, will be posting them on their website.

Anna H, Hutan, Octogenarian and 7 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Thanks Andy - do you mean they'll be posting a link to buy the DVD (rather than posting the video footage)?

Their usual thing is to allow discounted 'early bird' pre-orders but I haven't seen any of that. They don't usually wait for the DVDs to become available.

Octogenarian, MEMarge and Andy like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I know I'm responding to a, relatively, old post. While the Harvard group on the Friday was, to my knowledge, solely represented by Ron Tompkins and Michael VanElzakker, I'm aware that the two exercise researchers from Nottingham attended the "early career researchers" event on the Tuesday. I have no information on Janet Lord from Birmingham (UK).

A note on Janet Lord, she would, at least to me from her profile, seem to be a very valuable person, for many reasons, to bring into the ME research field.

Professor Janet M Lord FMedSci, Director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing Director of the MRC-Arthritis Research UK Centre for Musculoskeletal Ageing Research
    https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/profiles/inflammation-ageing/lord-janet.aspx

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Nope, the videos will be free to view on their website.

Kitty, Anna H, Daisybell and 9 others like this.
  11. Sasha

Really?! That's a big step forward, and I'm really pleased to hear that IiME have taken it.

Looking forward to seeing the videos! I seem to remember that it's usually July by the time the DVDs arrive so hopefully not having to produce a physical object and mail it will speed things up a bit.

Kitty, Anna H, Octogenarian and 6 others like this.
  12. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was there anything new or potentially groundbreaking that stood out? There was barely any live tweeting on the first day?

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'll try to provide a summary of my thoughts in the next day or so but my initial reaction would be there was no stand-out announcement, the day was more about reports of progress being made from those established in the ME research field or introductory talks from those newer to the field. Other people may have a different view. :)

14. Grigor

Thank you. That was my impression as well. Sadly!!

MEMarge, Octogenarian, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  15. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well we do have the metabolic trap and it seems to still be a viable hypothesis... Fingers crossed!

16. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Grigor

Ah saw the tweets but shared the thread. Awesome. Thanks.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Dr Fluge mentioned that the follow up period was extended, I believe, by a further 12 months, and that publication is due this year.

Kitty, Aroa, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

write up by Chris Armstrong
    (from an email)

Simone, MEMarge, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)