1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

IACFS/ME 2023 Medical and Scientific Conference

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Tom Kindlon, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't see a thread on this

Hutan, Ravn, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That list of speakers is a merry mix of the excellent, the unknown and the 'what were they thinking'

Will you be presenting any new data @DMissa ?

(For the record, I do not class Daniel in the 'what were they thinking' category and he's also not unknown, which only leaves one option :))

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Heaven help us! They've given a workshop slot to the quack Perrin, and some of the treatment talk topics sound highly dubious.

I despair. Why do they persist in giving respectability to quacks. And this time we patients have no access unless we can be there in person.

I remember last year they asked participants if they wanted to be involved in the organisation and I offered to help vetting presenters and weeding out quacks after seeing several poster presentations that shouldn't have been given places. Heard nothing back.

Ash, lycaena, Mithriel and 13 others like this.
  5. Trish

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have reviewed the conference website and took an interest in the ‘sponsors’, one being oxaloacetate CFS, with their branding of ‘medical food for chronic fatigue syndrome’. Please discuss.

Edit to add: the oxaloacetate ‘people’ are also presenting at the conference .

Ash, RedFox, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Trish

Good to raise it as an issue, but probably best to continue the discussion on this thread: Oxaloacetate
    We also have a couple of threads on research:

Open USA: RESTORE ME: A RandomizEd Double Blind Placebo Control Trial to Determine the EffectS of OxaloaceTate On ImpRoving FatiguE in ME/CFS

Oxaloacetate Treatment For Mental And Physical Fatigue In (ME/CFS) and Long-COVID fatigue patients, 2022, Cash and Kaufman

In summary, there were huge problems discussed on the thread with the way this trial was done and reported.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    Ash, RedFox, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I added to my post that Dr Kaufman will also be presenting at the conference. In my view it represents a conflict of interest, particularly if Kaufman or any authors are also selling the product.

Ash, Missense, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  9. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, I will be. It's not final and needs a lot more analysis, and is only a small update on a small branch of the projects I'm working on, but I hope it's at least interesting. Looking at combined metabolomes and lipidomes from whole cells using the lymphoblastoid cell lines. Am under embargo regarding the abstract so cannot provide more detail than the publicly available title.

I wish I had a lot longer to present... I have lost track of the number of projects I have going at the moment. All unpublished because so busy doing the lab work and analysis that I've had no time to write anything up!

Anyway maybe not quite "excellent", but trying my best as always ;). As always you are too kind.

Ash, Amw66, Ron and 13 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I certainly wish the conference had more Daniel and less oxaloacetate.

Amw66, Missense, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2023
    RedFox, Hutan, Fizzlou and 2 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2023
    Kitty, Hutan, Solstice and 2 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2023
    RedFox, cfsandmore, Fizzlou and 4 others like this.
  14. Dolphin

15. Dolphin

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    ahimsa and Sean like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an email from IACFSME.

2023 IACFS/ME Conference: Video Recordings Now Available for Purchase!

The cost of one pass to the online video recordings is $300 USD for Non-Members

and $250 USD for IACFS/ME Members.

Your purchase includes:

a. Unlimited, online access to all presentations until October 31. 2023 at 11:59 PM EDT (New York City time).

b. 100+ page conference program with abstracts for each oral and poster presentation.

Purchase at https://iacfsme.growthzoneapp.com/ap/Events/Register/aPd026KP

Dolphin likes this.
  17. Trish

Well, that's one conference I definitely won't be watching. That's a ridiculously high price.

MEMarge, mango, obeat and 5 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Cornell Center for Enervating NeuroImmune Disease

Celebrating Excellence! We're thrilled to announce that Dr. Maureen Hanson was honored with the Outstanding Research Scientist Award at the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis conference!

Dr. Hanson's dedication, innovative spirit, and tireless commitment to advancing research in ME/CFS has earned her this well-deserved recognition. Her work not only impacts the scientific community but also brings hope to individuals worldwide.

Join us in applauding Dr. Hanson for her outstanding achievements and contributions to the field!