1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'I’m just ill – respect me for who I am'

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46830730

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, WillowJ, Ron and 10 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent lived experience article.

A health practitioner told me I seem too happy to have "chronic fatigue syndrome".

About the attitude "you're too smart to be disabled". Very early on with ME I needed a wheelchair when I had the flu. While in a public place, a fellow, I guess thinking he was being very open minded and friendly, spoke very loudly, and slowly to me using simple words. Apparently, if one is in a wheelchair, one is also hearing impaired, and mentally challenged.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I'm too young, pretty, and smart to be disabled and yet I am. :rolleyes:

5. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I became ill just over a year after getting married. I was still working, but it was a struggle. One lunch hour, a chiropractor and long-time family friend saw me and my husband walking outdoors during lunch hour. At my next appointment he said: "Anyone who can look at their husband that lovingly can't possibly be sick". I was gobsmacked.

So, to add to the list of things we can't be (young, attractive, happy, smart, healthy "looking"), we also can't have good relationships.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@MsUnderstood, good grief, what a bizarre comment from your friend.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Basically: you're not allowed to be happy, even for a moment. Also: you should do acceptance therapy, it will cure you. And I don't believe your "vague" diagnosis that can't be tested for so you definitely have the vaguest possible diagnosis that can't be tested for.

8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was completely white headed by the time I was 24. My husband has never looked his age. He has pushed me in my wheelchair since I was 35. Imagine the comments...

Calling me his mother, well maybe, but his granny :wtf: