1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Older Adults: The Rehabilitation Perspectives, 2020, Ho-Yin Lai et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Open access peer-reviewed chapter
    https://www.intechopen.com/books/ne...igue-syndrome-in-older-adults-the-rehabilitat

Sly Saint, ukxmrv, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone have any idea from this abstract what 'activity scheduling'
    is? It could be pacing, or it could be GET.

Helene, Sean and alktipping like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The benefits of perspectives only apply when the people providing the perspective know what they are talking about.

Otherwise this is basically a best of album made up of unfinished never-released songs by a cover band of a one-hit wonder.

Ugh, can't even read it all I have second-hand cringe.

Helene, Sean, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not only is this drivel, it's derivative drivel.

Helene, Sean, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frankly "stress" and "anxiety" used in clinical psychology are basically indistinguishable from the use of concepts like "toxins" in alternative medicine or thetans in scientology. It doesn't mean what it actually means but it's still the cause, explanation and cure for every ill. Whatever it needs to mean in the present circumstances is what it means, and that meaning may change if the circumstances change.

And as most people suffering from chronic illness report, this makes it impossible to actually get access to mental health services because they refuse the premise of what the need is in the first place. Everyone hates it, including the evangelists who are frustrated that their snake oil is correctly perceived as snake oil. It produces nothing. It's massively wasteful. But let's just keep doing it for a few decades, it might just "work", as long as you define work as something unsubstantial and immeasurable, especially as something not relevant to the actual needs of the patients, rather the wants of the practitioners.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So bad it is not even wrong.

Invisible Woman, rvallee and Helene like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inspite of all the blurb on HPA-axis and fMRI scans making it sound 'scientific'.........

8. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't understand the results section: why do they focus on changes over time instead of between groups after treatment?

The primary outcome for the intervention group went from a score of 67.25 ± 4.35 to 102.63 ± 1.71. So I'm assuming that those 4.35 and 1.71 don't represent standard deviation otherwise the effects would be impossibly large. Perhaps they simply put the comma in the wrong place?

Snow Leopard and MEMarge like this.