1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

HRA registered CFS studiesthat could be of interest

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they're going to assess the safety of a treatment, having information on compliance would be a useful part of that. If a 'GET' programme doesn't lead to patients increasing their activity levels then this programme being found to be safe should not lead to patients being reassured that it is safe for them to steadily increase their exercise levels.

Viola, Trish, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I find this one concerning. It would be reasonable to believe that the only reason GET isn't harmful in trials is because those who would be harmed are not compliant. But they may appear so as they keep therapists happy or substitute activity. What evidence there is, I believe, suggests no great increase in activity with GET (or is it CBT).

Its one of the criticisms that @Tom Kindlon makes around harm is that there is no data collection to demonstrate compliance.

Here we have a trial aimed at testing measuring compliance with young people prior to doing it on adults - which I think is ethically very dodgy. It also worries me that young people may be more compliant and hence harmed.

ladycatlover, Sean, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More details on this (appears to be being done with FITNET participants)
    development of 'new treatment'

as AYME is no more who are they now working with on this?

https://www.fundingawards.nihr.ac.uk/award/DRF-2016-09-021

Sean and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So the 'new treatment approach' will be developed by therapists chatting with a group of teens and parents. And then, without testing to see whether it works, she will then travel the UK telling all the other people treating teens with ME/CFS and possible depression how to do her 'new' approach.

What could possibly go wrong? :arghh:

The funding they go on getting for this sort of stuff is astonishing compared to the amounts not given to biomedical studies.

Snow Leopard, Sean, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Questionnaires, the ability to pigeonhole responses to your pet theory again.

We have already seen how unsuitable HADS etc are for ME. It's the inability for researchers to be able to contemplate the impact of the condition on young lives as they still have a very poor understanding of the condition.

There is so much that is dismissed or passed to the anxiety/ depression box without wider thought re context.

I am continually amazed that young people are not more affected given the wall to wall gas lighting that goes on. An impact study of that would be illuminating.

Given some paediatric symptoms seem.to be under recognised ( POTS until recently was completely denied by Bristol as existing in paediatric CFS until pulled up bt Peter Rowe at a CMRC conference and still struggles to be recognised ) , and brain fog is widely misunderstood in terms of severity, manifestation and impact , I can't say I expect a lot from this.

Wouldnt it be nice to be pleasantly surprised . ( hint of irony)

Snow Leopard, Sean, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're serious about wanting to tackle potential depression in teenagers with ME then, unless we're talking youngster in immediate danger of self harm, tackle finding effective treatments & means of support for those teenagers & their families first.

It really isn't rocket science.

If your house feel down around your ears which do you need as a priority, to undergo treatment to feel better about it or have your house rebuilt and some help with temporary accommodation, insurance claims and a good builder.

Utterly sick of how those who profess to know and care about psychology of people put their own careers & need to be relevant before the needs of children & young people.