1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How much does it cost to fund a pilot study?

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by AliceLily, Nov 16, 2019.

1. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some studies would be more expensive than others to do. Would most be under a million or half a million?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Sarah94 likes this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It depends entirely on what is being tested. Could be almost free, to hundreds of thousands of dollars, typically.

wdb and AliceLily like this.
  3. AliceLily

I would love it if someone or a group of ME advocates would set up a bank account and have a process where we could register our name to commit to a $10 or more a month for getting some pilot studies done.

If 10.000 PwME committed to $10 a month we could raise over a hundred thousand or more a month. I would find up to $40 a month if there were only 2.000 PwME who would also commit to 40 a month.

We would need to set up a committee who understood the science and the right research to fund. We could fund quite a few pilot studies in one year.

I don't know what others think about this.

Aroa, MeSci and Hutan like this.
  4. AliceLily

Thanks for your reply @Snow Leopard

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think that’s what both Solve and the MEAssociations respective Ramsay Funds are for. May be simpler to get involved with one of those organisations.

6. AliceLily

Ok, thanks @NelliePledge I'd be interested to know how much is being donated a month and how many are donating.

vsou likes this.
  7. vsou

vsou Established Member (Voting Rights)

I wish it’d be set up like a go fund me campaign so we could choose what research we’d like to support.

On this subject: I am interested in which ME organizations other patients are choosing to financially support and what factors led them to choose the organization(s) they did.

I would like to donate some money but because I’m severely ill I’ve had difficulty completing research into different organizations. As I noted on another discussion about this issue, I’ve been disappointed in some ME groups in the past and am trying to be cautious as a result. However my caution is leading me not to donate which is not what I want either. I’ve been trying to decide if it’d be better to give several smaller donations to separate organizations or one bigger donation to one organization.

Sidenote: I also wonder if there is a master list of all ME organizations anywhere?

Aroa, MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  8. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the Solve ME/CFS Ramsay grants give about 35.000 to 50.000 to a research team per year. See minute 2 of this interview with Andy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSBi9zHUzvg

You can read about the British ME Association grants here (although I don't think their figures are per year): https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...f-worlds-cruellest-illnesses-23-october-2019/ 100.000 pounds go to the UK ME/CFS Biobank, 70.000 to Karl Mortons group at Oxford and 25.000 to Geraghty's group at Manchester.

I suspect this isn't the full cost of their work and that they are funded in other ways such as through universities etc.

Trish and AliceLily like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AliceLily likes this.