1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hole Ousia - it's Boom time! - Michael Sharpe

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Taken from another thread.
    @Hole Ousia

"At this afternoon session Professor Michael Sharpe said: “. . . we live in the greatest of times . . . Mental Health is the rage. This is BOOM time! We have a PRODUCT that is selling like hotcakes everywhere. How are we going to make enough PRODUCT?”

blog here (including clip from 50th Anniversary of Department of Psychiatry at Oxford)

https://holeousia.com/2019/03/21/its-boom-time-in-industry/

full conference available on Youtube (see link on blog)

Woolie, Inara, TiredSam and 11 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The comments on the full recording are at about 1.46.00. There are difficulties. The comments are made off camera. The person making them is introduced as Mike, so the claim that it is Sharpe may well be correct. It is impossible to see the body language but there is something about the tone of voice which suggests that this is not meant to be taken too seriously and is merely a provocation. You will make up your own minds.

Woolie, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am very familiar with this sort of half-joking chat from medical colleagues who think they belong to the gold-plated establishments. The Hammersmith Hospital used to do it in a way that would make the rest of us cringe. The assumption is that there are no patients or other troublesome people in earshot and that these 'jokes' can be shared between friends.

Many a true word...

4. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of my cardiologist, who I respect very much, giving a lecture to his peers on POTS & MCAS. He promoted MCAS awareness by casually joking about how 'not all patients are crazy'.

He's undoubtedly on our side and it was obviously said in jest, perhaps to avoid seeming like a crackpot himself - says more about his peers I suppose, that the first expectation when they see someone in anaphylaxis is that they're nuts....

MEMarge, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  5. Sly Saint

having listened to him over and over again I am 99.999% sure it is.

6. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe's full speech starts at 23.00. Not listened to it yet tho

DokaGirl, Sly Saint and Esther12 like this.
  7. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what Michael Sharpe's colleagues really think of him?

Most work places have someone who thinks they are incredibly popular but really most people in private can't stand them.

hinterland, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

It ends around 36:00
    Nothing of interest really just goes through the history of Psychiatry at Oxford, how it was separate then they had liason officers between Psych and Medical depts; explained that liason officers in the army
    are people who 'run between the forces to co-ordinate their efforts against the energy, er, the enemy".

Goes on to talk about the setting up of the dept, and how now all teams have a psych (iatrist or ologist) as part of their team. Briefly mentions elderly patients in primary care having complex problems including mental health (eg dementia) issues.
    That NHS have bought into the idea of this integrated way of doing things.

9. Hole Ousia

Hole Ousia Established Member

André Tomlin CEO of Minervation Ltd (The Mental Elf) was at the meeting and had arranged its recording. I wrote to André to confirm if this was Professor Michael Sharpe speaking. This was the reply I received from André [20 March 2019 08:12]

"He said it in the panel discussion at the end of the day. It was in the context of a question he asked the panel.

Cheers, André"

Whilst I was not there it is my view that this was said seriously. Much of the talk had been about finding partnerships with industry (if in doubt listen to the lecture by Professor John Geddes)

Woolie, ukxmrv, Inara and 12 others like this.
  10. chrisb

Well that clears that up. I must have mistaken the suppressed glee at the prospect of all those spondulicks for ironic self deprecation. I suppose I should have known better. Oxford has always seemed happy to bend over backwards to prostitute itself. It would probably bend over forwards if it thought that would help.

Barry and MEMarge like this.
  11. Hole Ousia

Hole Ousia Established Member

I have received an e-mail from Professor Michael Sharpe providing fuller context (I have added it, and my reply, to my original blog post):

"From: Michael Sharpe
    Sent: 25 March 2019
    Subject: curious misrepresentation

Dear Dr Gordon,
    https://holeousia.com/2019/03/21/its-boom-time-in-industry/

Thank you for you (mischievous) interest.

The context: The panel session was about training psychiatrists in general and academic psychiatrists in particular. My comment was intended to be a provocative question to a the panel about how they were going to meet the increasing NHS demand for psychiatrists when the number of academic psychiatrists providing their training is falling. It is absolutely nothing to do with industry.

Interesting that you choose to misrepresent it. No doubt you have good reasons"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my response [please note I do not know Professor Michael Sharpe]:

"Dear Professor Sharpe,
    My interest was not “mischievous”. My interest was as a long term advocate for full transparency of competing interests.

Thank you for providing the context to what you describe as a “provocative question”. The language you used in your provocative question/statement was that of industry/commerce: words like “product” and “boom time”.

I did not “choose to misrepresent” what you said, I shared an unedited clip with my honest reflections on what I heard as a viewer and in the context of listening to a number of the presentations including that of Professor John Geddes.

As to your statement “no doubt you have good reasons”, well I am not sure what you mean? However I am concerned about the lack of full public transparency in relation to the University of Oxford’s Department of Psychiatry and its strategic partnerships with industry (The GMC Good Medical Practice guidelines are the context):

Perhaps you can send me the public link to the declarations of competing financial interests kept by the University of Oxford for all staff along with the public link to the Register of all financial details relating to the University’s strategic partnerships with industry.

Kind wishes

Dr Peter Gordon GMC 3468861"

12. chrisb

The cynical part of me cannot help wondering whether Sherpa's "new-found" preference for cancer research might not have more to do with relative levels of funding than abuse and intimidation by ME patients.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

iT WAs juST a JoKE

or

I was just being provocative

Sure. Those are always lies. Whatever Sharpe meant is known only to him, but him responding with this makes it much more likely the literal interpretation is the correct one.

ladycatlover, andypants and Inara like this.
  14. Sly Saint

https://twitter.com/user/status/1111636037799985153

article:

https://www.heart.co.uk/eastanglia/news/local/over-2-million-invested-into-mental-health/

15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Errr... there is a danger of making a little, ittie bit too much of this.

I've watched his talk and the comment he made and find it entirely uncontroversial. Just, as he said, a slightly provocative joke.

And of course academic departments are going to have partnerships with "industry" - that's how things work - but that wasn't what he was referring to.

I've always found it slightly odd that psychiatry is seen as something separate from the rest of medicine, when is should just be another specialty area like everything else. But they don't help themselves by maintaining the distinction when they talk of liaison psychiatry as being "the interface between physical and psychological health" [RCPsych website]. Why do that? Why not simply say that they deal with the behavioural aspects of disease? Maybe they just like being different.

16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like liaison psychiatry to start talking about social issues around chronic illness. How about they start being advocates for social change that would have a positive impact on people with chronic illness.

This of course will never happen. Not with this lot. The psychological factors are important because they are useful to them. It forwards their agenda. The people being served are incidental not very important and don't have a say.

People could be forgiven for thinking I might actually really dislike liaison psychiatry.

Snow Leopard, Woolie, Inara and 4 others like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No money to be made from resolving wider social issues affecting patients.

Money to be made by making up treatments for problems patients don't have.

Woolie, Willow, Inara and 3 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Boom time for psychiatry

Global Psychiatry Partnering 2014-2021: Deal trends, players and financials
    "Global Psychiatry Partnering 2014 to 2021 provides the full collection of Psychiatry disease deals signed between the world’s pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies since 2014.

The report includes deals for the following indications: Akathisia, Anxiety disorder, Generalised anxiety disorder, Panic disorder, Post traumatic stress disorder, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Bipolar disorder, Chronic fatigue syndrome, Cognitive impairment, Delirium, Dementia, Alzheimers, Dementia with lewy bodies, Vascular dementia, Depression, Dystonia, Eating disorder, Anorexia, Bulimia, Learning disability, Aspergers, Autism, Mania, Obsessive compulsive disorder, Personality disorder, Schizophrenia, Sleep disorders, Insomnia, Narcolepsy, Sleep apnoea, Tardive dyskinesia, Tourettes, plus other psychiatric indications."

https://www.researchandmarkets.com/...ilestone+and+Royalty+Data&utm_exec=joca220prd
    (single pdf access costs £2,740)