1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrik Vogt: IOM review panel biased by patient influence

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Indigophoton, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, the poor man has been ill and is still not out of the woods. How ironic that he is in fact the paradigmatic nuisance patient.

2. large donner

large donner Guest

Its ironic that he doesn't understand that the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, therefore if someone makes a claim of cause or even joint cause its down to them to prove it. If something is psychological or partly psychological by default or "lack of organic proof of disease", firstly that's not evidence based and secondly what is the objective replicated proof it is psychological.

The BPS crowd have had over 3 decades to try to prove it is psychological and have failed dismally.

Apart from all of that Vogt seems to miss the central argument, PACE is crap and there is no defense of it being put forward even by the trial investigators themselves!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    MEMarge, Inara, Jan and 7 others like this.
  3. large donner

large donner Guest

I'm not sure what he claims his issue was because the translation wasn't too clear, but something about having tinnitus in his youth?...and?....tinnitus can come and go, can be very bad and is part of inner ear problems, so whats his actual point?

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, he has tinnitus. It got better after he worked with himself and no longer focused too much on it.
    Voila - a one-size-fits-all-cure was born.

5. large donner

large donner Guest

He got "better", hmmm...is he objectively cured and if he is whats the proof the tinnitus disappeared because of what he did?

Or maybe he is pacing, adapting to have to live with it, dealing with it etc.

Sounds like in his youth when he got tinnitus he was worried about some stupid psychs declaring him mentally ill, how ironic.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First time I read his story - when he presented his patient organisation Recovery Norge - he had recovered from his tinnitus, but later - in the interview in the Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association - he said he had gotten better.

Same with some of the recovery stories shared through Recovery Norge. Claims of full recovery when "improvement" would be more accurate.

The patient organisation Recovery Norge (primarily a Facebook page) surfaced a few days after the Norwegian consumer ombudsman made it illegal to share recovery stories by people selling alternative therapies. The LP coach Live Landmark had to delete the stories she had shared, but is now sharing the same stories via Recovery Norge. The timing of this patient organisation after the new rules from the consumer ombudsman was completely coincidental, of course. The consumer ombudsman have apparently no power or interest regarding stories of recoveries from undocumented treatments when shared from a patient organisation, even though LP coach Live Landmark was one of the funders.

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I developed tinnitus aged 5 after having tonsils and adenoids out.

My mum used to tell me off because she found me wandering round the house in the middle of the night trying to find what was making the noise.

I learned to cope quite quickly. Certainly by the time I was a teen I kinda assumed it was normal.

Decades later I still got ME.

Learning to live with tinnitus doesn't make you special, mate. Lots of people have to. Not getting ME just makes you lucky in my eyes. Nothing to do with how you coped with your tinnitus at all.

8. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@large donner He doesn't say the tinnitus went away. I think @Indigophoton is right - he was catastophizing so thinks everyone does.

9. large donner

large donner Guest

Isn't catastrophizing supposed to apply only to fictitious illness?

He is a very difficult person to work out.

Actually, I think I've got it, he has zero understanding of any part of the debate on ME, hasn't read the PACE trial or the reanalysis and he is just talking off the top of his head making up his own third way argument to dispute with himself over an angle that doesn't even exist.

Oh, and LP can cure stuff!

MEMarge, Pechius, Jan and 12 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, it's good to see that his views are unbiased by personal experience, unlike like some of those pesky members of the IOM panel. :rolleyes:

11. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dont feed the troll.

MEMarge, Inara, Lidia and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I fear this patient is suffering a terminal case of projection.

MEMarge, Joh, Inara and 9 others like this.
  13. jaded

jaded Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, rvallee, Indigophoton and 15 others like this.
  14. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Again Henrik Vogt at being disgusting. I start to imagine seeing him in "Desperate Housewives". (This is not meant to be sexistic. In my opinion, "Desperate Housewives", like comparable TV series, e.g. "The Bold and the Beautiful", are about people who don't know what to do with their time and therefore spend it with intrigues&Co.)

15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

He’s got just 3 likes tho

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Dr Vogt may be worried that scientists can actually see inside his brain and see how hot it is. Moreover, they can do it through cookies on his cellphone without him even knowing. All the scientists in California are giggling over all the strange temperature spots in his brain. No wonder he is paranoid.

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do think he is a bit 'unwell'. The point about the emerging biomedical discoveries is that the researchers are making no arrogant assumptions, unlike HV. It's called science.

18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:jawdrop::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Oh that did make me laugh @Jonathan Edwards, i needed that tonight, thank you:D

But HV's tweet itself is comical too, it's absurd - can he not hear himself, he's doing a Sharpe, unwittingly tweeting things about himself/his fellow BPSers.

"Ignorance and arrogance go hand in hand. There is always a group of psychiatrists/psychologists with narrow expertise who simply assume they can just "solve" problems like #mecfs that medicine has struggled with and clinicians know to be complex. Like their tools work for anything"

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems an almost tragic irony that HV is likely doing us a favour, with his comic-strip presentation of the BPS' misperception of science.

MEMarge, rvallee, Chezboo and 8 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is he afraid that these molecular/cell biologists might actually solve ME/CFS?

MEMarge, rvallee, JemPD and 12 others like this.