1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hemorheological responses to an acute bout of maximal exercise in Veterans with Gulf War Illness, 2021, Wei Qian et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Mij, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Background
    Altered red blood cell (RBC) deformability has been reported in Veterans with Gulf War Illness (GWI) who endorse exercise-induced symptom exacerbation and fatigue. However, it is unknown whether altered RBC deformability is worsened secondary to exercise.

Objective
    To evaluate RBC deformability in response to maximal exercise in individuals with and without GWI.

Methods
    Seventeen Veterans with GWI and 11 controls performed maximal exercise and provided blood samples (pre-, immediately post- and 60-min post-exercise). We calculated RBC deformation at infinite stress (EIMAX), shear stress for half-deformation (SS1/2) and their ratio (SS1/2/EIMAX) via repeated measures ANOVA with group and time as factors.

Results
    A moderate interaction effect (p = 0.08, η2p = 0.10), large main effect for group (p = 0.02, η2p = 0.19) and moderate main effect for time (p = 0.20, η2p = 0.06) were observed for EIMAX, but only the main effect for group reached statistical significance. Changes in SS1/2 and SS1/2/EIMAX over time were similar between cases and controls as were main effects.

Conclusions
    Veterans with GWI had more deformable RBCs in comparison to controls that was unaffected by maximal exercise. Future studies to confirm our findings and identify associated mechanisms are warranted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320521007001?via=ihub

sebaaa, Trish, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An edited quote from discussion, my bolding.

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably hard to study, but I would like to know what happens to RBC deformability in the days following exercise in ME vs controls.

I suggest PEM results from acutely impaired red-cell deformability, due to the demands of increased flow through compromised micro-circulation. In principle this could work for exercise/muscles, cognition/brain, digestion/gut and might allow for the observed delayed onset of symptoms and variable time to recovery.

In many ways it's a shame I didn't have the researcher relationships and background knowledge I have now, back at the beginning of my illness. I did two treadmill tests for cardiac function. I would have happily tracked my RBCs over the following days for an n=1 evaluation of this question. I'm probably a bit more reluctant to risk this now, but maybe it's possible to show changes with more modest exercise challenges.

Michelle, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  4. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First thought was smoking effects on their RBC deformity, mean Hb and RDW but they say they have analysed this and can put this aside as contributing.

@SNT Gatchaman - Need a fire sale at a lab, a few manuals and a shed, take your own blood and perhaps a step challenge, all for science.:thumbup:

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very likely a stupid question but: could RBCs be so deformed they pretty clot themselves? As in the source of those micro-clots? Basically when they are squished through capillaries they clump together because they are so squishy, and maybe catch other things too. Probably not but it's nice to dream.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the micro clots came from cell free plasma fractions - i.e. no cells in them.
    Squishiness would not encourage clotting. The squishier they are the faster the blood can move and the less likely it is to clot - since stasis is one of the things that encourages clotting.

I thought that previous work had suggested red cells might be stiffer in ME.

NelliePledge, Mij, FMMM1 and 7 others like this.