1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 28th November 2022 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello! Fitness tracker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Monitoring and pacing' started by Kikokat, May 27, 2019.

1. Kikokat

Kikokat New Member

Hello! I'm happy to have found this forum. I won't get into my whole story right now, but I've been off work for over a year with this debilitating illness, and mental illness, and finally receive diagnosis a few weeks ago.

apologies if this has been discussed before but I'm hoping to find recommendations on a fitness tracker that has a heart rate monitor with alarm, timer, and adjustable heartrate targets. I have a Fitbit charge 2 from my healthier days but it does not include these important features. I've been searching but apparently the alarm feature is uncommon. I live in Canada.

What are you using?

andypants and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm using a garmin vivoactive 3 - if you time it right these can be bought from amazon warehouse for around £100.

It has HR, a stopwatch, activity timers that can be set to either manual start or automatic, and the HR zones can be configured in garmin connect - it's app. I believe they can also be set on the watch but I'be not been able to do that yet, there was no need once I figured out it was easier in the app.

It's useful, but not really as a preventative measure, at least not in my case.

The HR alarm works, it has an upper or a lower bound, which is unusual in these things, and can be set to vibrate when a HR zone is entered.

This is not as useful as you would think, in my case it resulted in it constantly going off, as standing and moving pushes me above my 'anaerobic threshold' most of the time. This got annoying so I turned it off ;)

It is 'useful' in being able to tell when it's a bad idea to do things tho, a combination of the HR behaviour and the 'stress' reading (a rejigged HRV thingie) provides some idea of what's going on, even when I'm too mucked up to read my body properly.

This subject had been discussed before, I believe in this sub forum.

ETA - https://www.s4me.info/threads/using-heart-rate-monitoring-to-help-with-pacing.196/

Other devices are available, some may be better, the new crop apparently has another senor on it which may provide useful info - I don't know as I haven't got one with that sensor lol

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a Polar A370 that I’m very happy with, though I believe the Garmin equivalents have an easier alarm setup.

On the Polar I have to set up an exercise program for the relevant pulse zones every time I want to use the alarm function (to avoid going above a certain HR). It’s not hard and not a big issue, but it would be easier if I could simply activate the alarm without setting up a program in the app.

Wonko likes this.
  4. Kikokat

Kikokat New Member

Thank you both for your replies! I will look into and compared those options. Looks like there's quite a few Garmin that have that feature.

andypants likes this.
  5. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm considering the Garmin Vivosmart 4. It can meaure pulse oximetry and sleep phase, which is pretty cool. It can also do HRV or its own version of it.

andypants likes this.
  6. Sallycatherineharris

Sallycatherineharris Established Member

Merged thread
    I would love to know which wrist heart rate monitor has audible heart rate alert zones plus constant heart rate display if possible and large font size. Help and thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2022
  7. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are a few threads on heart rate monitoring and wearables in this sub-form: https://www.s4me.info/forums/monitoring-and-pacing.222/ . This thread might be better there.

Mod note: thread has now been merged, but other threads in this subforum do have useful information.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2022
    Hutan, alktipping and Wonko like this.