1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Women article - How to Tell if You Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This wasn't too bad until they started trying to explain the symptoms:

"
    If you have CFS, you may have:
    • Sore throat

• Fatigue

• Memory or concentration loss (which may come from a lack of true rest)

• Headaches
    • Unrefreshing or lack of productive sleep (you get plenty of sleep but you're still exhausted the next day)
    • Unexplained joint or muscle pain (inflammation is your body's way of fighting infection; as your body fights the viruses that may cause ME/CFS, your pains may be signs of that battle)
    • Enlarged lymph nodes in your armpits or neck (which happens when you have a virus; in this case, you have several viruses)

• Sensitivity to light (you get headaches from certain kinds of artificial light and have to squint to see)

• Nausea or vomiting from normal activities that didn't used to be a problem, and it can take more than 24 hours to recover."
    "Treatment
    Treatment focuses on symptom relief. Many people with ME/CFS are also depressed. Treating depression can make it easier to cope with ME/CFS, help improve sleep and relieve pain. You may also be told to speak with a therapist who can help you work out the limitations that ME/CFS puts on your life. And a physical therapist can help figure out what exercises are best for you."

https://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/how-tell-if-you-have-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

I give it a C for effort.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only have one of those symptoms so I better leave S4ME.

3. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought that was norovirus, not ME.:rolleyes: :sick: :eek:

4. Sly Saint

This article is still on their website.
    However they did update their pages on CFS in March 2019;
    https://www.healthywomen.org/condition/chronic-fatigue-syndrome#tab4

all fairly OK
    but then we get to 'treatment and prevention'
    and yet throughout the new updated information it says that very few people recover.
    that's helpful then. a decade??

but in the QandA section
    which would be a much more suitable replacement to the CBT in the treatment section.

would one of our American members like to contact 'healthy-women' and request the relevant changes;

also maybe contact the Bateman Horne Center as the info is apparently
    Medically Reviewed by Suzanne D. Vernon, PhD
    Research Director
    Bateman Horne Center
    Salt Lake City, UT

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't there an oxymoron in there somewhere? Why would a healthy woman be reading about CFS?

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ahh, but it's all about doing those incredibly helpful graded exercises, and thinking much more positively about her illness, that helps a slightly derailed woman get back on track to her former healthy glory ...

... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Arnie Pye, Invisible Woman and chrisb like this.
  7. Sly Saint

article at same website but this time on
    COVID-19 “Long-Haulers” Are Finally Being Heard
    https://www.healthywomen.org/your-health/covid-19-long-haulers-are-finally-being-heard

they link to the OMF for ME/CFS but then
    which takes you to their own page on CFS (see posts above) with stuff on CBT.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Wonko, Dolphin, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if anyone has considered that CBT, and attempting to 'cure' unhelpful beliefs/behaviours may actually set up negative re-enforcement patterns of thinking and behaviour, and thus turn perfectly normal post viral symptoms into ME.

Trying to fight the way nature has evolved us to think and behave when ill, and blaming us when we can't, may set up all sorts of 'issues', a constant an unnecessary pattern of trying and failing to please the shrink, and family employers, that's worse than was occuring previously, as now, it's 'officially' our fault, we ain't trying hard enough.

We're no longer sick, no longer ill, we are just pathetic undeserving failures - official

It certainly appears as if there are many more cases of ME than there used to be, before CBT and GET.

But that might just be coz the internet exists now.

Statistics may also show that ME rates are lower in countries which do not subscribe to the BPS fallacy - and do not insist that treatment is CBT/GET.

They may not, but they may.

Not as 'out there' as it may appear on first reading....if CBT/GET increase severity and disability then that might explain any increase in incidences of diagnosable ME - they may be actually creating them by subjecting people with post viral symptoms to their wackadoodle snakeoil.

Of course the question then is - are there in fact more cases of ME than there were before the BPS cabal got their snouts on the gravy train?

Are there more cases than there were 40-50 years ago?

...and are instances shadowing in any way the implementation of BPS doctrine i.e. do cases of ME increase as more and more of health services worldwide subscribe to the notion that it's 'all in your head' and should be treated with unprofessional disdain, and with CBT/GET