1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

HealthPathways, RACP & NICE guidelines - how do they fit together?

Discussion in 'Other guidelines' started by Ravn, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really good, solid info. Well done, @Hutan! It covers quite a lot, even though it’s brief.

2. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup::thumbup: :)

3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A clear improvement on the previous version. :thumbup:

One thing I find annoying is that this page - in common with seemingly every other ME/CFS webpage out there - links to other, general pages about sleep and pain management which recommend exercise. Something the ME/CFS page just told you to go easy on. Must be confusing for people new to the game.

Also the links to health professionals set people up for a nasty shock I fear. For example, it'll be an uncommonly lucky pwME who stumbles across a physiotherapist who "if you are bed-bound [...] can help you find ways to avoid deconditioning (your body working less well) that don’t make your symptoms worse".

I realise those links were not of your choosing @Hutan, just needed to vent. Thanks for helping improve the page.:)

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Following @Ravn's note that the ME/CFS and chronic fatigue HealthPathway content (i.e. the content for doctors) has been updated in Otago to adopt the Canterbury content, I contacted HealthPathways. They reported that:

"Southern have localised the Chronic fatigue page dated 9 December 2020 and it is nearly identical to Canterbury on a brief look through with some suitable local variation of services and programmes. It looks like they have retained our key messages. Midland and Hawkes Bay have not got a local version but both have an unlocalised version of Canterbury on their site."

They also noted:
    "Keeping it reviewed and updated is a challenge but we are slowly learning how to do that across the 50+ health systems using it without everyone having to repeat all the work. The password was adopted mostly to reassure contributors they were writing for health professionals and thus able to interpret information without full explanation. It has also helped to be able to licence it to other regions with central management."

Amw66, SNT Gatchaman and Ravn like this.