1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Health Rising: Ten Ways To Prove That Exercising Will Not Cure ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ten Ways To Prove That Exercising Will Not Cure ME/CFS

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...exercising-not-cure-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

by Cort Johnson

Your family, friends and even your doctor may, probably will at some point, prod you to get moving. They think that if you can just get on your feet again and start exercising, you’ll be so much better. It’s irritating to hear and just reinforces how isolated you are and how little they understand what you are going through.

You have to cut them some slack, though. You may, after all, look like you’re the picture of health. Plus we all intuitively sense that exercise, in general, is good for us and bedrest can make things worse. From the outside exercise might look like just the ticket. They are only trying to help.

Well, exercise is a ticket – but usually not to better health. While people with ME/CFS – like anybody with a chronic illness – should make every attempt to maintain their fitness, vigorous or even light exercise almost always has negative effects.

But how to convince your family, friends and even your doctor of that? It may take some hard evidence. Below are some suggestions that may help some well-meaning friends, family members and even doctors understand about exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)...

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was good

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. It's OK. It's really just a list of the evidence that exercise in ME is harmful, GET doesn't work, and some suggestions about pacing and other approaches to 'exercise' in ME.
    I will not be recommending this article to anyone as it seems to me to be just a cobbled together article wrapped around repeated ads asking for money for the author.