1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Ebola Syndrome

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by rvallee, Oct 8, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Twitter user pointed out this interesting tidbit: survivors of Ebola seem to display similar symptoms to ME. This isn't particularly new but potentially very interesting.
    Is it closer to ME or PVFS? Are those different other than a better prognosis for the latter? Not sure enough time has passed to be certain. Would have been interesting to know what % and whether there is a spectrum.

Really past time for medicine to get its act together and accept that the calculus isn't a simple matter of active infection = illness, no active infection = all done and resolved.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/treatment/survivors.html

Sarah94, duncan, Lisa108 and 15 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are references to post-Ebola virus syndrome since 2014.

Lisa108, Sly Saint, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  3. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. It is already well known that hemorrhagic fevers—the group of diseases that ebola belongs to—is a cause of post-viral fatigue syndrome.
    upload_2019-10-9_8-38-17.png

rvallee likes this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think (benign)ME and PVFS are classified by the WHO as the same.

but re the post-ebola virus syndrome:
    from Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Ebola_virus_syndrome

rvallee and Annamaria like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With the knowledge we have now, I think it is fair to say that post infectious syndromes have ME-like symptoms without the broken aerobic system and the PEM. Far too often we hear that things are like ME from professionals who think ME is chronic fatigue.

ME may present as a PVS in the early stages but i believe that a diagnostic test will pick out the differences.

My husband had a bad PVS that lasted almost a year but it never crossed our minds that it had anything in common with my ME. He had fatigue mainly while I had fatiguability and neurological symptoms.

Annamaria, andypants and Trish like this.
  6. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One item here is flat-out wrong. Whatever you may think of the Lyme controversy, even the most strident and conservative IDSA stalwarts will admit that Borrelia Burgdorferi can cause persistent infection. They think it's exceptional, but they admit it does happen. ILADS advocates contend not only can it happen, it happens with frightening frequency.

My point here is this chart says Bb is an organism causing no persistent or latent infection. If they've got that wrong, what else here is written as a certitude that is not, ie, what else have they gotten wrong in this chart? What "facts" are out there in medicine that are taught as "facts" but are simply wrong? How prevalent is misinformation?

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2021
  8. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found that very interesting, too. First thing I thought was that how stigmatized that will make Ebola survivors. And maybe people with other infections that persist longer, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2021
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are referring to Ebola as a latent virus.

This ‘resurrected’ virus, transmitting from people who recovered from an Ebola outbreak five years ago, suggests that sometimes survivors still harbour the virus many years later.

“This is very surprising and very shocking,” César Muñoz-Fontela of the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany told New Scientist. Muñoz-Fontela was in Guinea during the previous Ebola epidemic. “It’s like a relapse.”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/health/body-and-mind/ebola-resurfaced-some-viruses-are-never-really-gone/

Behind paywall

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02378-w

Ariel, EzzieD, SNT Gatchaman and 7 others like this.