1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gut-derived short-chain fatty acids modulate skin barrier integrity by promoting keratinocyte metabolism and differentiation, 2022, Trompette et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Barrier integrity is central to the maintenance of healthy immunological homeostasis. Impaired skin barrier function is linked with enhanced allergen sensitization and the development of diseases such as atopic dermatitis (AD), which can precede the development of other allergic disorders, for example, food allergies and asthma. Epidemiological evidence indicates that children suffering from allergies have lower levels of dietary fibre-derived short-chain fatty acids (SCFA). Using an experimental model of AD-like skin inflammation, we report that a fermentable fibre-rich diet alleviates systemic allergen sensitization and disease severity. The gut-skin axis underpins this phenomenon through SCFA production, particularly butyrate, which strengthens skin barrier function by altering mitochondrial metabolism of epidermal keratinocytes and the production of key structural components. Our results demonstrate that dietary fibre and SCFA improve epidermal barrier integrity, ultimately limiting early allergen sensitization and disease development.

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41385-022-00524-9

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, but if it's correct, I wonder why it didn't show up in statistical analysis of allergies. Maybe there are so many factors determining this process that preventing allergies won't be as simple as adding more dietary fibre.

"Fruit Loops! Now with added allergy-preventing fibre!"

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

What is "it"? I thought they only tested mice and human cell lines, not actual allergic humans? There are many environmental factors that can contribute to allergies, and even within diet there are plenty of nutrients involved in barrier tissue health not just fibre and the microbiome such as zinc, glutamine, vitamin A, D and C.

I don't think I've seen fruit loops in my country, but there are fruit candy for kids already touting their fibre content.

Trish likes this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By 'it', I meant the connection between allergies and dietary fibre. If there was a significant correlation, I would have expected someone to notice that: "kids who eat fibre-rich foods are less likely to develop allergies than ones who eat a fibre-poor diet." If the correlation is minor, it might be due to all those other potential factors.

Marketers will jump on anything that can be used to increase sales. How many fisheries have gotten depleted to provide omega-3 oil that doesn't seem to have any real benefits ... other than enriching a few rich people?