1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gravity-induced exercise intervention in an individual with CFS/ME and POTS, 2019, Ballantine, Srassheim, Newton

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by MeSci, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I'd put this in 'News' rather than 'Research' as it looks a bit amateurish. (Maybe Julia Newton was in a teaching capacity?) (He repeatedly misspells 'encephalomyelitis'.)

Source: International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation

Vol 26, #5

Date: June 6, 2019

URL: https://www.magonlinelibrary.com/doi/abs/10.12968/ijtr.2016.0035

Gravity-induced exercise intervention in an individual with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis and postural tachycardia syndrome: A case report
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Robert Ballantine(1,*), Victoria Strassheim(2), Julia Newton(3)

1 Healthy London Partnership, London, UK

2 CRESTA Fatigue Clinic, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals, NHS Foundation Trust, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

3 Clinical Professor of Ageing and Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

* Corresponding author. E-mail Address: robballantine2@gmail.com

Received 27 July 2016
    Accepted 4 February 2019
    Published online 6 June 2019
    Published in print 26 May 2019

Abstract

Background/Aims

Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis is a condition of complex nature, characterised by unexplained disabling fatigue and a combination of non-specific accompanying symptoms. Individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis frequently present with debilitating orthostatic symptoms, which may fall under the umbrella of postural tachycardia syndrome. Postural tachycardia syndrome is underpinned by autonomic nervous system dysfunction. The gravitational deconditioning that occurs in those severely affected by chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis alongside postural tachycardia syndrome has been suggested as a key focus for interventions in this group. This case report documents the evaluation and rationale behind a novel gravity-induced exercise intervention to improve the symptoms of a 44-year-old female severely affected by chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis and postural tachycardia syndrome, who had been bedbound for 10-15 years.

Methods

An exercise intervention was designed to challenge and therefore improve key areas of autonomic nervous system regulation in the presence of gravity. It contained seven different exercises conducted once a month in a class over a 6-month period.

Results

Fatigue impact score, activity levels and heart rate upon standing, as detected by an active stand test, improved during the exercise intervention and at follow up.

Conclusions

Gravity-induced exercise intervention can have a positive effect on an individual severely affected by Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyeltis alongside postural tachycardia syndrome.

Simone, MSEsperanza, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So it's a case study of an individual with such severe ME and POTS she was unable to get out of bed for 10-15 years. So how did she manage to attend an exercise class?

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Levitate?

4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cheney did suggest anti- gravitational exercise with a rebounder and some type of swing chair.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What's a rebounder? The only sort I've come across is like a mini trampoline, which would require the ability to keep upright and stable on an unstable surface - seems hard for someone with POTS and severe ME.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea what a gravity induced exercise intervention is supposed to be. Since gravity is with us all the time I don't see what it means.

Why is Julia Newton putting her name to something which , at least in terms of the abstract, tells us nothing at all.

7. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

could have to do with the vestibular system, and the nerves (sympathetic/para) ?
    and may train it, stimulate it ?

i tried swings in the past years, but it wasnt anything like childhood, when it helped me hugely with whatever.
    felt only dizzy and nauseous for quite some time.

there are those things for skydiving training, dont know the name.
    its like riding / floating on an airstream over an inflated cushion.
    may also account for gravity-induced exercise ?

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

How did they control for gravity?

9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza, Trish and MEMarge like this.
  10. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All these years I thought you had to go into space to experience zero-gravity, I had no idea I could get exactly the same effect from lying in bed! Life changing!

11. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how it works. I had to replace my mattress recently because the old one had become deformed from use and wasn't comfortable anymore, so the zero gravity effect obviously doesn't affect the mattress, only my organs. Perhaps we project some kind of anti-gravitational field that only goes as far as our skin when we lie down?

12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You are clearly not taking the subject seriously enough. Let's have a bit of gravity.

13. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we just don't understand the gravity of the situation. ;)

14. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apart from the questions others have noted, describing ME (aside from "unexplained disabling fatigue"), as having: "a combination of non-specific accompanying symptoms" is very vague, and gives the impression ME is not a disease, but a grab bag of varied unsubstantiated, insignificant symptoms. This study seems to go backwards, back to "cfs" is just syndrome.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, I see their mistake: they forgot to put the salt in front of the door to account for evil spirits.

How is there no point at which doing the same thing over and over again with the same garbage results enough? Complete misuse of resources once more by clueless people doing aimless busywork. Garbage garbage sewage.

16. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very strange, content-free abstract. I can't figure out what the intervention involved.

17. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza, rvallee, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  19. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The patient is described as very severly affected - yet, she was able to both visit the clinic and do a standing from and sit down to chair test.

My lower body, feet and walking also is affected when I get worse, but is back to normal as soon as my overall condition improves a bit. No exercise involved. Also my walking is instantly affected if crashed. Deconditioning obviously don't explaine that.

At least they realized thing where not working out as planned, and didn't push the patient, even if their reasoning why is not good:

They did a one hour class, once a month:

Simone, Cinders66, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  20. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Are those last five words not redundant? Doesn't everything on this planet take place "in the presence of gravity" without having to be designed? I reckon I could have ensured that gravity didn't excuse itself during the intervention and got my name on the paper too.

Or does it mean all the scientists stood around with serious faces?