1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Go Slow - a CFS-like disease of dogs

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hutan, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm interested in diseases of animals that might be similar to ME/CFS, as I think it is likely that humans are not the only mammals to suffer from this disease or collection of diseases.

This morning on the radio (Radio NZ) I heard about a disease called 'Go Slow' which has been affecting dogs fed wild pork, mainly in the north of New Zealand. This news item was prompted by a case of three people becoming extremely sick after eating wild pork.

A vet, Jenni Petersen, and a PhD student, Hayley Hunt, seem to have been the main investigators of Go Slow.

They think that pigs may be eating a toxic plant and that this affects the dogs soon after eating the pig meat. Mitochondria are affected and the symptoms are most apparent when dogs are exercised. The treatment is rest; vitamin B is thought to help a little, but some dogs never recover.

http://www.nzpighunting.org.nz/sites/default/files/news/Issue51_The Grunt.pdf

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loc...hau-vet-works-on-cure-for-dog-illness-go-slow

The problem started to be identified in the mid-1990's. The online references I could find on this are dated around 2015. But the vet, Jenni Petersen, was saying very clearly this morning that there are no answers as yet, and there needs to be a lot more effort made to find out what is going on.

2. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Makes sense :nerd:

IMO understanding Anthropology is vitally important. Humans didn’t just show up one day on earth. We evolved and adapted; it’s estimated that the earliest form of life was 4100 Million (4.1 billion) years ago. It’s estimated that eukaryote formed 2100 Million (2.1 billion) years ago.

Squeezy and Woolie like this.