1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ginseng

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This 2022 research paper by Yang et al (thread here) found that there is not enough data of sufficient quality to warrant any conclusions:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2022
    Hutan likes this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done my own study, N=1.

Ginseng, 3 different types if memory serves, provides no non transitory benefits.

Hutan likes this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be prepared for jitterness and insomnia.

Hutan likes this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any use of a stimulant with ME should be treated with caution, given the risk of it taking people’s activity levels over their individual thresholds for triggering PEM and because of the possibility of sustained use encouraging sustained over exertion with consequent deterioration in the underlying condition. I would want to see long term follow up perhaps over several years before deciding whether more than occasional use for specific one off activities was safe.

cfsandmore and Hutan like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't need supplements that enhance/boost stamina and endurance when I have a 'energy limit' deficit.

It doesn’t improve oxygen use or aerobic performance, or influence how quickly you bounce back after exercising.

Hutan likes this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried ginseng many years ago but I didn't notice any difference what-so-ever.

Hutan likes this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

These are the two studies included in the review by Yang et al mentioned above.
    We have a thread on another fairly recent study, this on Korean red ginseng, which it claims has a higher content of 'anti-fatigue substance'. Efficacy of Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng) for middle-aged and moderate level of chronic fatigue patients, 2019, Sung et al. It was a randomised double blind trial, presumably excluded from the Yang review due to it being applied to chronic fatigue, defined as fatigue for longer than 6 months. Fatigue declined significantly in both the treated patients and the controls, but there was no difference between the treated patients and controls.

cfsandmore likes this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

cfsandmore likes this.