1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Open-Label, Pilot Trial of HRG80™ Red Ginseng in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Post-Viral Fatigue, 2021, Teitelbaum and Goudie

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia (CFS/FMS) affect 2.1% of the world’s population and ~10–25% of people who have had COVID-19. Previous clinical data suggested that a unique Panax ginseng (C.A. Meyer, family Araliaceae) root extract (HRG80™ Red Ginseng) often resulted in marked improvement. We aimed to study this hydroponic form of red ginseng root, containing high levels of rare ginsenosides, for improving energy, cognition, and stamina. This open-label prospective study included participants with severe CFS/FMS who took a daily supplement of HRG80 capsules (200–400 mg) or tablets (100–200 mg) for one month. A total of 188 subject patients completed the one-month treatment trial. Of these, 60.1% rated themselves as improved, with 13.3% rating themselves as being much better. In this group, the mean composite score improved from 11.9 to 18.8 (p < 0.001), with a 67% average increase in energy, 44% average increase in overall well-being, 48% average improvement in mental clarity, 58% average composite improvement in the previous three measurements (primary outcome measure), 46% average improvement in sleep, 33% average decrease in pain, and 72% average increase in stamina. Our study showed that HRG80 red ginseng root powder resulted in a marked improvement in people with CFS and fibromyalgia. This included the subgroup with post-viral CFS/FMS.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/15/1/43/htm

nick2155, oldtimer, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Open-label trial with subjective end-results. Someone is trying to make money on a bullshit-treatment again.

Hutan, nick2155, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took various types of Ginseng early in the illness that made me feel jittery. I also developed insomnia.

Does supplement advisor/seller Teitelbaum's name on this study have a conflict of interest here? Their use of "CFS/FM" says it all.

EzzieD, Starlight, alktipping and 7 others like this.