1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Germany: Article, "practical recommendations on diagnostics and therapy"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Sep 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

All information taken from the Deutsche Gesellschaft für ME/CFS Facebook post and Facebook translate.
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/dg.mecfs/posts/628905577517511

https://twitter.com/user/status/1172410007612051457

DokaGirl, Anna H, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm glad to see this: last time I heard anything about ME/CFS in Germany was being told it didn't exist there ... (admittedly a long time ago now).

DokaGirl, Annamaria and Joh like this.
  3. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like this article in big parts and it's great that it is published by the Ärzteblatt Saxony.

this part is a bit irretating: "Two studies from Norway demonstrated the efficacy of the B cell-depleting antibody rituximab in more than half of the patients [11]. The results of the recently published multicenter study are unfortunately negative, however, the dose was halved compared to the first studies. However, a positive result of the study is that in the placebo arm, the disease improved in 30 percent of those treated. This shows the great importance of a close-knit, committed medical care for this disease."

Annamaria, Hutan, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes there is some psychosomatic ideology in this document but it's not too bad.

It is not clear why the placebo arm improved and as much fun as it is to speculate, an article about treatment should refrain from it.

Annamaria, Hutan, Joh and 3 others like this.
  5. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, I'm still confused by the claim that the Rituximab dose was halved (and this might be the reason the study had a negative result). Prof. Scheibenbogen has said this in a talk before but I haven't heard of it anywhere else.

I'm glad that the document contains a page on children with ME. It's the first time (that I'm aware of) that we have "official" info on pediatric ME in German.

Annamaria, Anna H, Hutan and 5 others like this.